Off the Grid

Fantail

After googling 'squirrel cage fan' because frankly I was thinking 'what is he talking about?', I'm still not sure what your talking about. Unless it's something to do with the hampster wheel out of a blower moter somehow turning a generator? Sounds ok if enough water was constantly rotating it.

Picked up that small charge controller btw, the utility leads don't leave much slack but hooked up right perhaps it dosen't need to.

Going for the deep cycle & box next payday. One thing that concerns me is the lead from the panel. The style seems proprietary and I'm sure to need another 10' or so.

Well, doesn't that look easy  ;)

Just thinking even if I had a steady stream near camp not surrounded by mud or swamp I'm not sure how practical it would be. Cool idea though, an alternate for overcast days - portable hydro. So considering time on location I'm realy back to solar. Thought about a small windmill to but they are nowhere as cheap as panels, and it's camp, not a summer - fall home. On the other hand if someone had the right property, a place they could more or less live at then 2+ sources of power would be a no brainer.

Sure, & use good wire & what connections I need. But I think that would void the panel warrenty. If I use an extra cable and cut - splice it then I'm thinking it would avoid that problem plus solve another. The controller also uses the same connections except for the utility line. What puzzles me a little is how to connect multiple panels, but I'm not worried about that right now.

Found some on Amazon (battery tender) that look about right.

I'm also thinking with quick disconnects I can store the panel in the camper when I'm not there.

Fantail...These are the connectors that some panels I had looked at use. .

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CON-320/2-CONDUCTOR-WATERPROOF-CONNECTORS-18-AWG//1.html

My panel uses these to connect the end of the panel leads to the controller and I used the same ones to connect 10guage wire from the controller to the batteries

So it turns out I already have a dc- aa/aaa charger, about a year ago picked up a duracell mobile charger at chinamart 30$, I think. Well it included 4 rechargables, anyway was just using it at home all the while, the other day I picked it up to charge 4 aa's and noticed the plug - luckily I'm a bit of a pack rat and saved the adaptor. Works good.

4 days decent weather, ample sun - had the panel hooked up to the controller to the Jeep battery since it was kind of a trial run and the rest of the project should be budgeted soon. I was able to charge 8 aa's off direct dc & 1 18v using the inverter, plus run a small light in the camper on occasion. Off 1 15w panel. By the time I left the controller indicated a full charge.

Now the other part, at least once a day I had to use a soft cloth and wipe the dust of the panel, looked like pollen. Also the canopy isn't exactly wide open so I had to change the angle and rotate the panel maybe 3 times a day.

Once the trees return to life I can see another panel just to get the power, so might as well plan for the 45w kit.

• 1 month later...

The harbor frieght solar powered bug zapper turned out to be - junk. An all day charge gives it maybe 2 hours - and with all the flies & skeeters in the NZ I saw it zap may 2 bugs. Bummer to, I mean the idea is there but poorly impilimented. Going to try my luck with a Eureka 12V Bug Zapper instead.

Picked up a 3 socket adaptor (12 v). Figgured instead of hard wiring for the aa/aaa charger & other things just have a panel in the camper where I can plug things in. That way I can take the charger with me in the truck if need be. Lowes still sells inline switches, they work fine for dc wiring, fans etc.

Clearing enough canopy for the panels in the woods is plenty of work. The good news is two 15w panels still function well in partial shade. Providing the sun is actually out, they have full exposure between 12 & 5pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I caved and bought the 45 watt kit. With the sale & coupon it was about 145$.

That gives me 5 panels for a 75 watt system. Believe it or not I wasn't planning to add to the system untill next year *cough* but that's a good deal & now I will look into power for a thermoelectric cooler (aprox. 4 amp draw), and move away from ice. Will probably need to parallel another 105 Ah deep cycle & add a 6th panel - time will tell. Already have a regulator wired in that will deal with that. Unfortunatly the regulator that comes with the kit, is apparently not designed for expansion. It is fused for 4 - 5 amps. However from what I read about it you can still hook it up to the battery & use the nifty connections it has.

All these cool & quiet gadgets are adding up. But other toys like game cams can wait till `12, don't have alot of other hobbies and I love to camp out. I've got some background as an installer, and let's face it - if you got a camp, camper, or both your probably going through this thread because you can't leave some things alone ;)

Here's some other jazz I found that might be usefull;

Use the map - find your Latitude.

Optimum orientation of Solar Panels http://www.macslab.com/optsolar.html

Some info on the HB 45W regulator.

At 1:30 on the 4th. with 5 panels the regulator was indicating overcharge - full charge.

22 watts 4.2 amps feeding into a combiner box then into the system.

Power consumed; charged 8 aa's, used dc lights for a few hours (didn't need to use the propaine lantern at all this weekend), vent fan maybe 2 hours, 12v zapper 4-5 hours a night, & the radio/cd player for about 24 hrs worth. I get about 1/2 dozen stations and cd's chew battery juice, so I made a bypass in the player to use a 12v socket for power.

I'll be adding one more panel to up the amps, missed the HB 4th. sale but they always have sales & I get their e-mails.

In the pic showing the controler I have the lead out fused feeding a small buss bar that feeds the lights, fan & a 12v triple socket adaptor. Placed a rocker switch inline for that & the fan has one. On the door side of the camper there's an old double 120v capped socket, if I can find a pair of 12v sockets (marine? - outdoor?) I'd like to run leads to that & have power available outside.

post-3-131455458019_thumb.jpg

post-3-131455458043_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The solar thing is addictive, but at the same time a good way to go.

6th. panel is in and installed, this gives me about 5 amps for charging 2x 105 aH parrallel banked marine batteries.

PICT0366.JPG?width=139&height=104

Fantail...These are the connectors that some panels I had looked at use. .

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/CON-320/2-CONDUCTOR-WATERPROOF-CONNECTORS-18-AWG//1.html

My panel uses these to connect the end of the panel leads to the controller and I used the same ones to connect 10guage wire from the controller to the batteries

I bought some of those, btw they had very impresive shipping time, and used them to connect the panel feeds in the combiner box - to the charge controler. I have enough reserve now for what I want to run & a thermoelectric cooler but only for the weekends. The powerchill I have has a 3.65 amp draw. Next years budget may see a nice engel or edgestar.

If I wasn't bent on getting away from ice 5 panels & 1 deep cycle was plenty for camp. Heck I was getting overcharge by 2pm on sunny days. 1 kit (3 panels) would be good for lights and a few other light amp-draw things. Ideally I could use another 2.5 amps next year. Could be done with another kit, or 1 more panel and an mppt controller. The kit is cheaper. Problem being either way I need a better controller as the current one is almost maxed.

• 2 weeks later...

Tested one of the 5 watt cfl bulbs included in the kit. To my suprise it lites up the inside of my camper very well. Also only uses .35 amps compared to the original 12v bulb fixture at 1.3 amps. We'll see how it goes once it's colder but I stil have the led's & lantern.

PICT0387.JPG?width=640&height=480

Plugged in outside.

Pict0385.jpg?width=640&height=480

Plugged in inside.

Orange glow from the firepit :(

Why couldn't I take a clear picture? After 6 shots of tequila that's about as good as it gets.

i used the lights that came with the kit ...one in the loft for the guys getting in and out and dressing and one on the porch for making beer runs ;) . They do light pretty well. I want to find a couple more to use inside in some darker areas that the propane lights don't really light up well enough for detailed tasks. I can't find the ones from the kit sold by themselves though.