Combo shotguns are they legal to deer hunt in shotgun only zones?

Hunter007

2 hours ago, chas0218 said:

That gun is going to kick you like a mule x2 with a 12 gauge slug let alone a 3". I would be surprised if you don't dislocate your shoulder. Although I'm not sure of your frame but that would hurt like a bugger.

I am large guy  with hunting jacket  does not effect me at all I shoot 12ga 3 inch now i have for the past 25 years .

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, Storm914 said:

I was looking at few combo shotguns online  like the m6 that have one shotgun and  one  22  rifled barrel .

Question can you legaly deer hunt with something like  that ,in shotgun only zones  if you only load the shotgun barrel ?

Stormy...I missed the fact that the combo you mentioned featured a .22 rimfire barrel rather than a centerfire...That should be perfectly legal to hunt deer in a shotgun only zone, even with the rfile barrel loaded, as long as you don't attempt to shoot a deer with the rifle barrel...If  the rifle barrel was a centerfire, it would be illegal to posses ammo for the rifle barrel while you were hunting deer with it... Sorry if I passed on faulty info...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

Stormy...I missed the fact that the combo you mentioned featured a .22 rimfire barrel rather than a centerfire...That should be perfectly legal to hunt deer in a shotgun only zone, even with the rfile barrel loaded, as long as you don't attempt to shoot a deer with the rifle barrel...If  the rifle barrel was a centerfire, it would be illegal to posses ammo for the rifle barrel while you were hunting deer with it... Sorry if I passed on faulty info...

Got you that makes sense :)

I tried getting a Savage 24V ready for deer season.....   A 20ga / 30-30 combination.   Huge mistake.  Iron sights point one direction.  So, you can have the rifle barrel shoot right, or the shtogun barrel.   If I remember it was a fixed full choke barrel too.  Long story short, the top barrel would make weak primer strikes, even after replacing the spring, hammer, and firing pin, and even strengthening the spring too.   The gun aimed ok with the 30-30 barrel, good enough for 75-100 yard shots.  The shotgun part sucked.  IT fired reliably, but trying to get a good lead and sight picture when shooting trap was a big challenge.

MY dream was to stalk hunt deer, but shoot grouse I flushed.   Not legal to do in NY.

Now, when I stand hunt in a good grouse spot, I keep 110gr 1300fps handloads for my 30-30 and use it as a big rimfire gun...

I think those shotgun rimfire combos are only good when you're in a populated area small game hunting.  Use the 22 when it'safe, use the shotgun when you shoot up in a tree....

Out of 30-40 gun pruchases, trades, etc....   That gun was my biggest firearm mistake hands down...