TVM muzzleloaders

erussell

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Check out kibler rifles for a southern style.  It's a kit, but barely.

Check out muzzleloading forum and American long rifles forum for traditional guns.

So many nice guns.  It's easy to control myself on that site.  Not too many left handed guns.

If you get a rock lock, pm me.  I do a few things to make them real reliable when hunting.

On 5/4/2018 at 8:06 PM, erussell said:

Cool nice page to. Want to get into flintlock for the challenge. I've  killed alot of deer and rifle bores me. Want to do it the hard way for some challenge.

Hrvesting with a flintlock isn't a challenge in NY.   IT just takes homework.  Getting the sights setup right, getting used to different ranges with the gun.   Then finding a good load.   

The gun will go bang when you want it too.  In my experience A flintlock is more reliable than a non-209 percussion gun.  It's easy to get the flame channel clean on a flintlock.  It takes more care to get a percussion gun free and clear every time.

After 100 yards, it's get tougher to harvest.  130-150 is about the limit, both projectile and open sights.

A tight fitting patch and consistent conditions make for a very accurate gun.  Same relative amount of lubrication to the patch, same relative bore condition for each shot.  Reliability is a matter of being clean of residue and oil.

Light rain I stay under cover.  Damp conditions I change my priming powde every hour.  When there's a decent bit of rain, I either just don't hunt, hunt in a blind, or use a percussion gun with the cap sealed in candle wax.   I also have a cow's knee to cover the lock area.

I've harvested in rain, snow, and while still hunting after several hours with no problems.  Only 1 failure to fire.  I changed my cleaning method right before the season.  The gun had a patent chamber.  I went back to cleaning the chamber like I used to, and no problems since.  The last 1 inch or so of a lyman or thompson center has a roughly 35 cal bore.  Impossible to clean properly with just a 50 cal tool set.  I use a patch placed over a 36 cal brush.

I switched to a water minimal method when I switched my patch combo.  I went back to the typical water bath method