Risk Assessment: ticks

Bobonli

6 hours ago, Doc said:

What is the max temperature that you can stand to have the rynoskin on before you start sweating? Is it true that it is mosquito-proof? Is the weave so tight the little suckers can't get that proboscis through? I think I just might get a set (top and bottom). I suspect that on a day like these past 90 degree days, that stuff is probably not practical. But during hunting season, it should be ok....right?

The package description says that it's Breathable, lightweight, impenetrable fabric, among other stuff. We shall see.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:23 AM, NFA-ADK said:

Personally the risk is not worth my health, I have done enough damage to this poor body.  No need to punish it more.  It is starting to fight back, any more and it might revolt!  

How long ago did you treat your clothes?  And how did you treat them.  I hang about 4 sets of clothes in garage then basically use 2 big bottles on everything including socks, underwear, boots face mask etc.  and I soak them.  If it stays warm by November I redo everything again.  I also tape socks and sleeves if I am really cautious, but that is rare unless I know I will be going through thick cover.  I am also very observant and try to avoid ANY branch or protruding vines/limbs along the path, easy on a trail, no so easy off. 

This is also a very active time for ticks.  Pulled on off me this year after a scouting even at the club freaked me out at 3:30 am!  Dog tick but still freaks me out! 

I treated everything, following the instructions on the bottle. I think the little bugger got up under the pant cuff. So it's gaiters for me from now on or taping the cuffs/socks. FWIW I had dead bugs including a tic elsewhere on my pants, so I think it may have gotten in there when I had my leg outstretched climbing over something at Wildwood. The truly bad consequence is that I made the mistake of mentioning when I got home...so now my kids think there are tics lurking everywhere except on the couch in front of the tv!

The big problem with Deer Ticks is they bite you in unseen areas. Get in the habit of standing with your back to a mirror while holding a hand held mirror after a hunt before hitting the Shower.

While I agree and do this, there are some unsightly consequences of such an endeavor.
There’s a country song out there that sings, “I’d like to check you for ticks!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1