Other Pan Fish

DirtTime

59 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

What kind of crabs ? 

Blue crabs, they're in the back bays & marshes just across the bridge into NJ

It's been quite a while since I spent time with disreputable women, but the bait is pretty expensive, and there's not much size to the crabs you catch there. :negative:

• Like 1

I catch buckets of bluegills out of Champlain in the winter for our supply of fish.  I like perch just fine, but I enjoy catching gills in shallow water vs chasing schools of perch around.  I've gotten so good at filleting them that I can clean them faster than perch too.  I won't turn down a yellow perch, but I love the way bluegill fillets cook up!  

I just got back from a week in western Quebec where I caught over 200 walleyes in 5 days.  A 15-16" walleye is pretty awesome table fare too.  I didn't catch any big 'eyes, and didn't bother with pictures, but it was a good place to be during the heat wave.  Still hot up there, but at least I wasn't working!

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:48 AM, Uncle Nicky said:

Blue crabs, they're in the back bays & marshes just across the bridge into NJ

It's been quite a while since I spent time with disreputable women, but the bait is pretty expensive, and there's not much size to the crabs you catch there. :negative:

Don't wait up for the shrimp boats, Mama, cuz  I'm coming home with the crabs...

• Haha 3

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, Uncle Nicky said:

I have really gotten into crabbing this summer. A lot of the tidal creeks hold white perch, I am dying to catch a mess of these and try them out, I hear the meat is delicious.

A friend and I caught a bunch of white perch in Maine a few years back while up there on a gobbler hunt..

We had some decent  1 pound + fish....They were very good, but I would not say they were better than yellow perch.Many Mainers, however, COVET the white perch and consider yellows a trash fish, not worth keeping...Go figure....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

A friend and I caught a bunch of white perch in Maine a few years back while up there on a gobbler hunt..

We had some decent  1 pound + fish....They were very good, but I would not say they were better than yellow perch.Many Mainers, however, COVET the white perch and consider yellows a trash fish, not worth keeping...Go figure....

I've heard that about Mainiacs.  I don't mind a white perch caught through the ice, but they are no yellow perch.  White perch aren't perch at all, but a member of the bass family.  The only upside I found to white perch were the massive, aggressive schools that we fished in Northern Champlain.  We caught hundreds of pounds of them one year through the ice.  They were worth eating, but not as sweet as yellow perch.

• Like 1