Putnam County Ruffed Grouse & Woodcock

SteveMcD

Although  I live in Dutchess County I normally hunt the northern Catskills and Taconics for Ruffed Grouse. But, I am wondering if there are any grouse and woodcock numbers in Putnam County areas worth trying. I have overlooked Putnam mainly because Dutchess grouse numbers are almost non existent.  

• Like 1

In the 80 and 90s there were los of grouse in putnam...most likely still are,  but the dairy farms are now horse farms that dont allow hunting.  

But nyc property in kent looks good for grouse.  Try horsepond road ...ive seem grouse during deer season...a few woodcock as well....the area is thick with briers.

Also a few places off rt 22 in patterson / southeast are open to hunting....

Edited by mmkay

Lots of places were good, or at least huntable for grouse before 2000.  The 80's and 90's were quite good in Putnam.  Woodcock hunting is still very good and I see them the entire hunting season.  The better habitat areas and migration periods are the most productive but there are pockets all over.  When I had my dogs, I was never disappointed woodcock hunting in Putnam.  Grouse are still present in pockets but I don't know if they could even be considered huntable populations.  If I wanted to give it a try, I'd go to some of the more recently acquired land near Cranberry Mountain or the more "remote" DEP lands.  I'd be very curious how you make out.  I don't have a bird dog any more, but if I did I would try those places.  As I posted recently, I actually feel habitat has improved in the past few years with the ice storms, snowstorms, tornadoes and wind storms. DEC and DEP land management has seen some changes also.

DEC does confirm some grouse exist in Putnam still.  I do ask landowners and I've had some leads but I'm not always sure they know what grouse are.  I've bumped in pheasant in very odd places while exploring.  They seem sure but I'm skeptical to a degree.  I'd really explore these areas in the late winter where you can see the remaining habitat.

One property in Dover Plains that I had sole access to for nearly 40 years had grouse until fairly recently.  The grouse population then seemed to become confined to the higher areas, rhododendron thickets that were very difficult to access and hunt.  I suspect this would be true in Putnam also.... Fahnstock and Hudson Highlands as examples.  I used to hunt around Selkirk on unposted land.....it's not a terrible drive.  Perhaps it's still productive.

Edited by Woodcock

Ive had luck asking for permission to hunt grouse (post deer season) from deer hunters...but haven't gone in years..old/fat now....my labs are good for pheasant...and pheasants are all over dover plains...rich hunt club release them by the thousands.

As for grouse, when i went, i used to locate an abandon apple orchard over grown in briers / wild grapes....hopefully there would be a stand of pines near by

But try nyc horse pond road property..town of kent.....no one there until deer season and the pumpkin army only hangs around for a week

Edited by mmkay