Savage semi auto .22

Hey guys, I was up in springville a week ago and they had bolt action and semi auto savage .22's for sale, for 130 bucks. Is it worth it? anyone have any experience with these guns? I've been shopping around for a .22 for a while now and I came to the conclusion that 150 to 170 bucks is my limit, any more than that it just isnt worth it to me, I only wanna take it to the gun club and shoot every now and again when I cant afford a 20 dollar box of bullets  :) But what do you guys think? worth it?

My brother bought the Savage Mark II FVXP package online (came with a 3-9 variable scope attached and bore-sighted) for around $250.  He is very happy with it.  I know that's a little above your range but I think you can find it without the scope for around $180 or something like that.  Be aware that your FFL will charge you $50 or so to do the processing if you order online.

What's a Ruger 10-22 going for nowadays at Dick's or whomever..??

They are a fine, functional firearm, and if you ever want to trick them out, there's an incredible amount of aftermarket parts to put on them..

Mine is original, bought around 1970..Had 1000s of rounds through it and has never missed a beat.

If you only have one .22 rimfire, for hunting, plinking, or whatever, it is hard to beat.

I'm not knocking the Savages, the Marlins, or any other brand. but a 10-22 is not that expensive, and you'll never be sorry you bought one.

Ask ANYONE who has one..

What's a Ruger 10-22 going for nowadays at Dick's or whomever..??

They are a fine, functional firearm, and if you ever want to trick them out, there's an incredible amount of aftermarket parts to put on them..

Mine is original, bought around 1970..Had 1000s of rounds through it and has never missed a beat.

If you only have one .22 rimfire, for hunting, plinking, or whatever, it is hard to beat.

I'm not knocking the Savages, the Marlins, or any other brand. but a 10-22 is not that expensive, and you'll never be sorry you bought one.

Ask ANYONE who has one..

I think the 10/22s are still over $200.  I agree though, great gun.  I'm hoping to pimp mine up a bit by installing a bull barrel by summer's end.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to get the Ruger 10/22 today. I figured I hear nothing but good things about it, and the way I take care of my guns it will last in my family for generations. It wasnt that bad either, after tax and everything it came to 250.

Great choice!  If I knew you could have stretched your budget, I would have told you to get the Ruger 10/22 from the get go.  In the future, if you get tired of it, you can alway mod it up.

Just last week, I bought a bull barrel and a hogue synthetic stock for mine so now mines looks exactly like the picture.  Same parts, etc.  I just don't have a bipod for it yet.

Enjoy your new toy!

post-1898-131455466133_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As far as the savage goes, I got the model 64, while the gun shoots straight, the clip is the biggest piece of junk ever made, 150rds through it and the base plate falls out, here comes the spring, follower and all the ammo, lost the plate all together, I have also since then read alot about it not loading right due to the clip hitting the bolt, It is now in a closet and will probably be staying there for awhile