Eldred Preserve fish & pay questions

Warren

I'm looking for a place to take my 8 and 10 year old granddaughters fishing where they can catch something and keep their interest up.

I am from Dutchess County and would like to limit the driving distance.

I found 2 places in Pa (Big Brown fish and pay likes) and then found this place called Eldred Preserve in Sulivan County,NY.

Anyone have any info or comments on this place?

Any other suggestions for pay and fish locations?

Thanks

Warren

Hi NY hunter

I'm familiar with Sterling Forest - that's where I've been deer hunting for the last few years.

I was looking for a place where I'm pretty much guaranteed my girls will catch something.

I bring them up to Lake Champlain labor Day weekend but there are some days when the fishing is slow and I'm trying to get the little one interested buy having her catch something.

Eldred has 3 trout ponds..2 "catch and you must keep" - you will pay ~$6.50 per lb for the trout you catch.  The ponds are always well stocked and it's a great way to break a youngster in - guaranteed action.  You can bring all your own gear, and for 50 cents/fish they'll even clean them for you.  The 3rd pond is fly fishing catch and release (barbless hooks only).  They also have a couple of lakes with Bass (catch and release only) and you can rent a boat.  Their website has all that info.  As long as you are ok with the cost of the fish, I recommend the experience...it's a great way to give the kids some action and they typically have quite a few big fish (I have a picture somewhere of my 4 year old holding up a trout that's almost as big as she is, etc)

"The ponds are always well stocked and it's a great way to break a youngster in - guaranteed action."

Well I just got back from a very disappointing time at Eldred preserve. The fishing was extremely poor. I knew we were going to have a bad time when a family was leaving as we got there and they said no one was catching anything. In 3 hours with over 30 people fishing we saw 3 trout caught.

I was prepared to pay big bucks for the grandkids to catch some fish. Boy was I disappointed with the place.

We came home and went to a local small pond and the girls had a blast catching sunnies.

I'm sure that a lot of trout are caught there, I guess we just hit one of those bad days. Maybe it was just my poor fishing skills but would I go again? No!

I'd have a better feeling of the place if they only charged you if you caught something but to charge a family of 5 (including a 7 and 8 year old) $2.5 each to just sit there bugs me. They didn't even have any meal worms for sale, just night crawlers.