losing fear of people.

the blur

Recently I've noticed if I see a deer on the side of a back country road, they are not to fearful of me and my truck.  I usually stop, and look at them for a while.  I toot the horn, talk to them  ;) ; and they don't go running off.  they just stand there staring back at me.  today I got within 15 feet of a doe, and she stood her ground.  I was ready to get out of the truck and smack her on her head.

last week I saw a doe with 2 fawns,  she was a little more cautious.  stayed about 50 feet from me, and watched me while the fawns were eating.  but not really fearful.

now, if it were the middle of hunting season, we know they would have BOLTED immediately  ;)

yeah, I think the older ones are always more cautious than the yearlings and fawns.  But I've also noticed that in the next month or 2 as the testosterone ramps up and more and more people are stopping to check them out, they seem to get more paranoid (at least the bucks). 

now, if it were the middle of hunting season, we know they would have BOLTED immediately  ;)

That does show how radically their mentality changes as soon as hunting season begins. They really don't even have to be shot at directly to understand that it's time for evasive lifestyle changes. And boy do they know how to make those changes ..... lol. Is that demonstrating some actual logical reasoning on their part?