Trapping

Buckfever85

Trappers are still here and still a big and important part of the hunting community here in NY state. they have been under a tremendous amount of fire by anti hunting groups and even get bashed by fellow hunters here in NY. i support them fully, and as hunters i suggest we all do the same.

In my younger years, I used to run a fairly long and profitable trapline. In fact as a kid, I used to provide spending money and buy my school-clothes through trapping. It seems that back then every rural kid around ran a trapline. I don't really see that anymore. So it's good news to me to hear that there are other areas where trapping is more popular. I was getting the impression that it had all but disappeared. And perhaps when considered as a percent of the population or even a percent of what the trapper population used to be, that still might be a fairly accurate notion.

So getting back to your original question, perhaps the reason for lack of participation has something to do with the people getting used to being slammed by the antis everytime they start talking about trapping. Or maybe it's just the independant nature of trappers that keep them from being involved in computer forums. Then too, trapping is a seasonal activity, and right now there's not anything going on other than preparation and scouting for next season. I don't know, it's always difficult to figure out participation issues on forums, and I am only guessing.

The only way to get more activity in that forum is to start posting. I have had some limited participation there, but not being an active trapper anymore, my interest level is a lot different than it would be if I still trapped. But I still check in everytime there is a new post there.

In my younger years, I used to run a fairly long and profitable trapline. In fact as a kid, I used to provide spending money and buy my school-clothes through trapping. It seems that back then every rural kid around ran a trapline. I don't really see that anymore. So it's good news to me to hear that there are other areas where trapping is more popular. I was getting the impression that it had all but disappeared. And perhaps when considered as a percent of the population or even a percent of what the trapper population used to be, that still might be a fairly accurate notion.

So getting back to your original question, perhaps the reason for lack of participation has something to do with the people getting used to being slammed by the antis everytime they start talking about trapping. Or maybe it's just the independant nature of trappers that keep them from being involved in computer forums. Then too, trapping is a seasonal activity, and right now there's not anything going on other than preparation and scouting for next season. I don't know, it's always difficult to figure out participation issues on forums, and I am only guessing.

The only way to get more activity in that forum is to start posting. I have had some limited participation there, but not being an active trapper anymore, my interest level is a lot different than it would be if I still trapped. But I still check in everytime there is a new post there.

Thats a good idea doc. I will start posting some new topics in there. And yes trappers are always in the public eye. Makes a american tradition tough. I dont think that people realize that it was a market that funded this country in the begining.

Doc I think you make a good point.  I can tell you I just dont talk much about trapping because there really isnt much to talk about.  It one thing thats sees very little technological advances so it would be like talking about the same thing over and over again.  Traps are still the same except maybe a new dogproof trap that hits the market once in a blue moon.  There are only so many different ways to set a trap and processing the animal hasnt change like ever.  The only thing that really changes is the fur market.  Most times when someone comes up with a new set that works for them they keep their mouths shut so they can cash in on the fur and not their neighbor.  I always looked at trapping as my time that I share with my kids and not the world.  Another thing that makes me keep quiet about it is I had my fur shed broken into and lost alot of fur once years ago so I dont let people know I have a work shop with hundreds of dollars of furs all ready for selling in it and I have had way too many traps over the years stolen as well so spreading the word around the neighborhood is a no no if you want to keep your furs and traps.