Training my dog to track

Gencountyzeek

I wanted to start training him last year but got to busy. So this is the start for him this year. 

His background, he is a Belgian Malinois, 2 years old. We got him at 11 weeks old and its been a joy everyday since then to have him part of the family.

I just recieved the book pictured today, any experienced tracker i asked were to start mentions this book. A buddys friend got a deer over the weekend and i had him save the heart for me to start the training with. I cut 5 strips off the heart, leave him inside and take one and rub it on the ground every few feet in the backyard for about 50-75 yards. Put his collar on and leash and tell hom lets go to work. Start him at the beginning and let him go. He has done very well so far, at the end of the track he gets the strip of heart and a tasty snack from my pocket...and ofcourse lots of love and praise. 

I will be lengthening the tracks and taking him into my field were there will be more distracting scents. Also i will let the scent trail age longer as time goes by. I know its illegal to take a uncertified dog on a track but i plan on bringing him out if myself of brother in law gets a deer. I have to look into how and when i can have him certified in ny, hoping to be ready for next deer season.

We have just begun this journey and i hope in years to come i can help fellow hunters in the wny area find their trophies. Ill continue posting here any updates and anything else we learn as time goes on.

20191007_142845.jpg

20191007_142832.jpg

• Like 6

The author of that book John, is my tracking mentor. Yes the dog needs to be certified. And so do you!! From the DEC. There really is a lot more to it than just training a dog to follow a blood trail. The human partner is just as important to the dog, as the dog is to us. And has to have the experience to help his four legged partner. It is a team effort. Each must do their part to be successful. And it works best when both partners contribute equally. Yes, the dog has the nose. We have the brain.

Perfect example, from a current thread on this forum..........Outdoorstom with Luna and Kunox, they depend on Tom to know when to backtrack, restart, push, slowdown, run ahead, search escape trails, circle around, and any number of other things, to help them if they lose the scent trail. Read through that thread and you will get an idea of what I'm saying. That is an all star team!!!

He looks like a good pup. Nothing says you can't have fun together! Try an old deer hide at the end of your mock blood trail. 

• Like 3

I follow that thread and love reading the stories. I totally understand it and im sure years of working together you learn all the intricacies of your dog. Im a few days in lol, i understand thats thiers way more into it then just laying a short trail and watching him work. Im learning as he is also. I have alot to read and learn and plan on asking lots of questions of outdoorstom, this is just the start.

• Like 1

I wanted to start training him last year but got to busy. So this is the start for him this year. 
His background, he is a Belgian Malinois, 2 years old. We got him at 11 weeks old and its been a joy everyday since then to have him part of the family.
I just recieved the book pictured today, any experienced tracker i asked were to start mentions this book. A buddys friend got a deer over the weekend and i had him save the heart for me to start the training with. I cut 5 strips off the heart, leave him inside and take one and rub it on the ground every few feet in the backyard for about 50-75 yards. Put his collar on and leash and tell hom lets go to work. Start him at the beginning and let him go. He has done very well so far, at the end of the track he gets the strip of heart and a tasty snack from my pocket...and ofcourse lots of love and praise. 
I will be lengthening the tracks and taking him into my field were there will be more distracting scents. Also i will let the scent trail age longer as time goes by. I know its illegal to take a uncertified dog on a track but i plan on bringing him out if myself of brother in law gets a deer. I have to look into how and when i can have him certified in ny, hoping to be ready for next deer season.
We have just begun this journey and i hope in years to come i can help fellow hunters in the wny area find their trophies. Ill continue posting here any updates and anything else we learn as time goes on.
20191007_142845.thumb.jpg.5f5da4bab507379557515fd53ce02d12.jpg
20191007_142832.thumb.jpg.a88f68d893fe951c3bbd4a07ce607b80.jpg

The heart and I hear the liver is great for training too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk