Cold Weather Camping

tj1187

Your best bet is to get a camper that has the enclosed and insulated underside. They usually have tank heaters, etc so that they dont freeze up either. You could probably buy tank heaters and line heaters yourself and install them. My buddy has has a Travel Trailer and a 5th wheel that were both setup like that for cod weather. He has never had an issue when he takes it hunting during late gun season in a foot or more of snow.

• 2 months later...

Since this thread is titled about cold weather camping I'm going to piggy back a cold weather camping-hunting post to it, hope that's cool.

Going to leave late Sept. & early Oct. out of this post because while a bit rainy it was good camping, never needed extra heat.

Last weekend (Thur. - Sun.) of Oct. as we remember the temps got down under 30, pre-dawn walk was like a carpet of pringles. Themometer indicated 20-25 but the inside of the camper was a nice 50. Did that with a sport-cat catalyst heater. Screws ontop of a 1lb propaine cylinder. Now they last about 8 hours, new ones a little longer but I refill them to recycle. And so I would go through one 1lb cylinder a night. Inside of the old camper isn't 100% air tight but sealed up well enough. Moisture tends to condensate on the aluminum window frames & glass. When I used the stove top the vent fan was handy helping keep steam & oders out, except for coffee ;). Used the firepit to cook main meals.

One of the best things I like about it is being able to roll out of my bunk and stand up at 5 am. Make coffee, get ready without battling for things like I had to do inside a tent. I'm not putting tents down, they are fine and give you shelter. I'm just enjoying the old restored camper. I sleep great out there, all that clean cool air, toasty warm bunk. The bathroom, is realy a large closet with a crapper but still.

The solar power is working well. I keep my pen/trail light batteries charged up overnight & use other lights when ever I need them, inside mostly but outside if I need or want to. There's not a ton of time between getting back to camp from hunting, then cooking, preping for the next day etc. Sometimes i'll use the lantern a short while before I call it inside the camper. It gives off heat you can use inside before starting the heater. Also brought the thermoelectric cooler. Interesting thing it never got over 38, no ice. It was the only cooler I used. Just needed to run it on the drive up & back. But I had reserve juice up there if need be.

Fan just be careful with a lantern inside the camper. Really with any combustible products because there is always the risk of carbon monoxide. Im not sure if you have a battery operated detector in the camper but it would be a wise investment if you dont. Im a firefighter on Long Island and we respond to numerous carbon monoxide calls a year. Just want you to be safe. Happy camping and good luck hunting.

Fan just be careful with a lantern inside the camper. Really with any combustible products because there is always the risk of carbon monoxide. Im not sure if you have a battery operated detector in the camper but it would be a wise investment if you dont. Im a firefighter on Long Island and we respond to numerous carbon monoxide calls a year. Just want you to be safe. Happy camping and good luck hunting.

Hey Rich what FD do you belong to? Ex North Bellmore FD here.