Newfoundland Moose Hunt report

Pygmy

Lawdwaz - I have hunted all around the U.S. and Canada, I know what animals are. I didn't know they were retired. Thats great for them, I would drive too then in that situation. In my case, I fly anything over 8 hours drive, because it allows me to take less days off from work. In regards to the success rates, there are many places in Canada where success rates are close to 100% on big bull moose (not canned hunts either). I have never had an interest in a Moose Hunt, because for $7-10K, I'd rather go for a different species. Just my choice.

Newfoundland has the highest density of moose in North America, and on the average, the highest success rates. The moose are not big, compared to Alaska-Yukon moose. In Alaska, the minimum spread for a legal moose is 50", for nonresidents in most areas. That would be a SUPER trophy in Newfoundland.

However, in AK, good guided hunts start at 10K, and that does not include little details such as licenses and tags, travel expenses, and getting your meat and trophies home.. Unguided drop hunts can be done for less , but success rates are much lower and these days, logisitics for getting meat/horns home are very unfavorable. By the way , Biz-R- Oworld, I was doing unguided DIY moose and caribou hunts in Alaska when you were still a sparkle in your daddy's eye.

Newfoundland is the place to go if you want to shoot a MOOSE..

If you want to shoot a BIG bull moose, it is not the place to go.

My hunt cost $4200....We got 5 moose for 7 hunters....Not too bad, IMO...

There are many places in western Canada and Alaska where you can get fairly high odds of shooting a BIG bull moose, but you you are going to spend TWICE that amount, minimum, and possibly 3 or 4 times that amount..

My pockets aren't deep enough for that. Since you seem to be an experienced continental hunter, perhaps yours are. I could not afford my first out of state big game hunt until I was 39. Now that I am retired and on a fixed income, I probably can't afford many more.

Edited by Pygmy