How to Build a Clamp Mount for digital camera/camcorder

I like to video my own hunts. When hunting from a blind (usually a one-man chair blind) I have two different tripods or monopod with two cameras. One facing me and the other facing in the field. That is pretty easy to do. But hunting from a tree stand is a bit different. Sure I can spend money on a tree arm but did not feel it would serve my purpose. I already have several bow and gun hangers coming off the tree on my stand. Using a tripod on the small platform of the treestand is not feasible as there is not much room to begin with and really no way to secure it.

I wanted something that I can attach to the gun rail of my tree stand. So I started researching on the internet. I found a youtube video where some guy created a metal clamp mount for a DVD monitor for under $10. The material used was an American DJ medium duty C-Clamp, a nut to fit the clamp bolt and a rubber leg tip. On the C-clamp he attached a ball head from a small tripod to be able to attach the camera.

I took it one step further. I canniblized an old tripod that had an arm attached to pan the camera. This tripod had legs that would always collapse. I removed the top portion of the tripod completely including the riser (the part that goes up and down on the tripod). I purchased the American DJ medium duty C-clamp on Amazon for $4.07 - free shipping. Could not find it at any hardware store including Homedepot or Lowes, not even a local hardware store in my neighborhood.

After spray painting all silver parts matte black, I attached the riser to the clamp using a small nut. The clamp uses a thicker bolt which I removed. The riser had a screw cap with a threaded bolt attached. I removed the screw cap, removed the existing screw and added a longer threaded bolt. Reattached the screw cap and fed it through the top hole of the clamp and tightened it down with another nut. I inserted the larger nut into the rubber tip and attached it to the bolt that you would screw to tighten the clamp against the gunrail. The rubber tip at the end of the clamp bolt helps to secure it better on metal. I will be testing it out this coming weekend. Now I can hunt and video my hunt and I can pan smoothly. This is especially important to me in case "buck fever" sets in just before and after I release my arrow or pull the trigger.

Here are some pictures. post-1257-0-11078100-1317663180_thumb.jp

post-1257-0-73984900-1317663204_thumb.jp

post-1257-0-44745400-1317663230_thumb.jp

Nice job! Can you make me one now :) Can't wait to see some video's.

It's actually pretty easy to do. Aside from drying time for the spray painting portion it took me about 20 minutes to put together. My only cost was the $4.07 for the clamp from Amazon and a rubber leg tip for $1.59. The rest of the material I had lying around in the garage. John, i would be happy to make it but unfortunately I don't have any more broken tripods lying around. :unsure:

. Nice job with the clamp mount ...................thumbup.gif

Thanks. I just hope when I attach it to my gun rail on my treestand and move to pan the camera that it doesn't fall off as I'm about to release an arrow :unsure: . I'm gonna test it out this weekend and take some video of the fields and hopefully some deer movement all the while hoping to stick a turkey. :D