They just dont make them like they used to..

So I went to a gun raffle this past weekend, and low and behold, I won a gun (pretty ecstatic) I won a weatherby 12 gauge. I went to the store (dicks) to see the gun, and seeing as how I didn't really need another 12 gauge, I decided I would spring for a gun I have always wanted, a marlin 30-30. My grandfather has more lever action guns than I can count, probably more than he remembers, I grew up shooting one of his winchester 30-30's. He has an older 336, and it is beautiful, from the action, to the blueing on the gun, to the finish it is just beautiful. Dicks was running a special on the marlin 336A + a scope for 349 with a 50$ rebate. So I sprung for it, well after having one store search high and low, they had none, I called a store that was up the road, they said yea I have a few, I go and they had 2 youth guns no combos, so I go to another store and FINALLY get my gun. After getting it home and giving it a once over I have a few quirks about it that I didn't have about my grandfathers. First off, the finish seems chinsey, It seems as though the didn't put any varnish on it at all, It's almost porous, not to mention it was dented in a few places (slightly, just being nit picky it wasn't a huge deal) There is a small dent on the metal where the sling mount mounts to the gun, and then to top it off, the offset hammer spur included in the packaging, is no where near the right size, the guy at the store says that it is a common issue lately. All in all after shooting it it is a nice gun, I don't regret buying it, It just made me realize that even guns aren't made like they used to be. Kind of depressing

Overall finish wise, I don't think guns are what they used to be. It seems like you see many more tooling marks on firearms these days compared to the past. Accuracy wise, I don't think guns have ever been better. Even inexpensive ones can outshoot guns that were in the higher price ranges in the past. So these days we get the good and the bad as far as guns go.