Anyone hunting deer with a milsurp rifle this year ?

Pygmy

I know there was thread on this subject a year ago, but we've gained some members since then , so I thought I would see how many members hunt with military surplus rifles.

My main deer rifles are commercial models, but I have always been interested in military rifles . It appeals to me to shoot and hunt with a piece of history.

Last year I shot a doe with my 1943 vintage Garand M-1.

I load 150 grain softpoints ahead of 47.0 grains of H4895, which is supposed to duplicate the military load that the rifle was designed for. I enjoy carrying it, despite the 10 pound weight, and the issue peep sights still work well with my aging eyes. The trigger is pretty good for a military rifle.

I also have a Yugoslav M48A in 8 x 57 that shoots well with my 150 grain handloads. I removed the Mauser notch rear sight and installed a Mojo peep sight. Since semis aren't legal for deer in PA, I may use it down across the border. The main disadvantage is that the two stage military trigger is heavy and creepy.

I also have a SMLE #4 .303 that was made in Long Branch, Ontario in 1944. It shoots well but I have never taken it to the deer woods. It is currently on display in the Local American Legion post

• 3 weeks later...

I have an SKS with lead softpoints for rainy days. I paid $99 for this rifle around 20 years ago. With the money they are getting for them now maybe I shouldn't take it out in the rain....

I like the price/performance on the russian surplus rifles, but still want to pick up an M1 Garand. Have a Mosin 91/30 and a Mauser 24/47 also, but neither is setup good enough to hunt with, but eventually the mauser will be my backup. Have to get the tool to adjust the front sight.

B)