Toxins

Doc

I often see geese out in fields that have just been planted. I know that seed is treated with all kinds of chemicals that most likely are somewhat poisonous. Is there any possibility that the toxins from the seed can be concentrated and maintained within the meat of these geese?

I don't know about the amount of build up but the majority of seed is treated with some nasty stuff. Fungicide and or Insecticide. Many of which effect insects the same as they would mammals (only you need a higher does). Many of those compounds accumulate in fatty tissue. Most stuff (beans, wheat, corn) are treated with Raxil, Thiram, Storcicide, Cruiser and some others. High cost seed (veg seed) including stuff like black, pinto, red beans, cabbage, squash etc. etc. can have 6-7-8 or more compounds on it. You so much as open a bag of that seed and it can make you start hacking.

I am not aware of any studies relating to this although i am sure there have been some done. The majority of treated seed with grazing restrictions (if there is one) says to not allow grazing for a month after planting.

If too much is consumed it could be lethal to the animal. I have seen it with Rats and Mice.

The problem with this is that there are few (if any??) studies- studies take money and not many people want to pay for this sort of thing (might be worth catching DU's ear on this one), however I know that a lot of the toxins we use in agriculture do not break down easily and so, in my opinion-- yes, absolutely, geese might retain some of the chemicals that they consume. Toxins and heavy metals are nearly always 'stored' in the fat reserves on birds and in any oils/skin. If preparing for consumption, weigh the risks (I wouldn't be feeding questionable meats to pregnant women, young children, etc) and remove all skin and as much fat as you can, same as with a diving duck.