High Hopes for This Year's Hatch

Pygmy

The average hatching date for turkey poults in NY  is June 13, according to a study that was done a number of years ago...That means that the weather during the second and third week of June, is of utmost importance to a successful hatching season...For quite a few years we have been plagued by wet, cold weather during June...That kind of weather is deadly for turkey poults, who  can easily succumb to pneumonia and exposure in such weather while they are in the down stage, despite the efforts of the brood hen...

So far this June, while perhaps not ideal for gardeners, has been ideal for turkey poult survival..Forecast is for at least another week of similar weather.... We may have the best turkey hatch that we have had in several years...

• Like 6

As I am sure you know Bill,  rainstorms  are NOT a big issue with poult survival as long as they are not accompanied by below average temps..

Hope your bearded lady shows up followed by a parade of fuzzballs...A local friend of mine used to do a lot of turkey photography ( back in the 35 MM days)...He had a local bearded hen and had pictures of her over 3   or 4 years with a total of 43 poults...

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 7:17 PM, Pygmy said:

The average hatching date for turkey poults in NY  is June 13, according to a study that was done a number of years ago...That means that the weather during the second and third week of June, is of utmost importance to a successful hatching season...For quite a few years we have been plagued by wet, cold weather during June...That kind of weather is deadly for turkey poults, who  can easily succumb to pneumonia and exposure in such weather while they are in the down stage, despite the efforts of the brood hen...

So far this June, while perhaps not ideal for gardeners, has been ideal for turkey poult survival..Forecast is for at least another week of similar weather.... We may have the best turkey hatch that we have had in several years...

I believe it can go the other way for poults; too dry. We have had heavy dew this year so far, so that helps.

On a second note, I found a hatched nest of turkey eggs on a knoll while cutting hay. Nearest I can determine, all 7 eggs hatched. Now watching for them to surface.

• Thanks 1