Handheld GPS

njg0621

Looking to buy a handheld GPS for fishing. This will pretty much only be used for ice fishing 90% of the time. I am looking to have a handheld that I can walk out on a body of water in NY and know what my depth is and where to start fishing with the new GPS. What is the best middle of the road GPS and who makes maps for NY that will work with it? Thanks alot! I have never bought one before so I just want to make sure I chose the best option.

Edited by njg0621

Look on Ebay for a Lowrance iFinder H2O or H2Oc, I bought a used one on there two seasons ago pretty cheap. You will also need to buy a fishing hot spots chip for the contours. There are newer models around but for the price you can find them on e-bay you cant go wrong!!

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Outdoor/Legacy-Products/iFINDER-H2O-C/Accessories/

My Garmin 60csx is a very accurate and versitile unit.

You can download maps and way points you have selected onto your PC and work with them there.

For what I use it for the topo maps were my choice for a map option.

Topo maps, at least the Garmin variety, don't show contours in under water areas (lakes, etc).

It gives altitude to the unit's location. Wouldn't help ice fishing as it would give elevation to where the unit is located.

There are marine maps that are optional. My guess is they are mainly for open waters, lakes & the ocean.

Sounds like you are looking for a "Fish Finder" or sonar unit for checking depths?

Or are you trying to return to the same spot as you had good luck previously (GPS)?

There could be one that does both, but I'm unaware of any.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=MarCum_ShowDown_Ice_Troller_Hand_Held_Digital_FishFinder&i=437438&r=view&aID=504C7&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=343337343338&s_kwcid=goobase_goobase_filler&cID=GSHOP_437438