Looking for Hunting lease Cortland County

I am currently pursuing that route, it seems that all of that land gets scooped up prettey quick or is locked up for a few years. I have 10 acres of my own land but only about 3 acres are huntable and its hit or miss. I would like to find a farmer that would be willing to commit a 20-50 acre chunk that I lease for use mostly during bow season. Its hard to believe that it has come having to pay for land in NY, but the way most people treat posted land I can not blame landowners for going this route. Its a constant battle for me to keep other hunters off my 10 acres.

I hunt up in that area, there is so much state own land that you could have access to that have great number of deer on them. Hunting the state owned land up there is nothing like lower in the state, I hunted on my property and the state land for opening week of gun season and didn't see any other hunter besides the guys from my camp. For bow season the woods are empty.

Cotton-Hanlon has a lease program but I believe most of it is locked up. Save your lease money and buy land. There is 22,000 acres of state owned reforestation land in the tri-county uplands. There are definately less hunters and different types of hunters on state land than in the past. The orange army of out of towners pushing every inch of woods is gone. Most state land hunters are locals that sit in treestands.

I do hunt some State land, but I have a huge passion for bowhunting. There is nothing worse than putting tons of time in scouting a nice buck and getting his travel route and pattern figured out to hang your stands. And then the next time you come back if you are lucky enough that your stand and cameras dont get stolen, you find that some other yahoo hangs a stand 30 yds from yours. To me I never thought I would have to pay for land to hunt, but if thats what it has come in order to get your own piece of private land then I am willing to . I have had 4 treestands and 1 camera stolen while hunting public land, there is very little common respect left amongst most hunters nowadays. I hunted some state land this year that was very well maintained by the DEC . Almost everywhere I walked around I found beercans hanging in trees and thrown on the trails ,cigarrete packs and coffe cups all over the ground.

I was always taught to respect the land that feeds you, but I dont see alot of other people that think that way nowadays.

you should come to LI. the bull crap that goes on here is worse than anywhere in the state. Very few respectful hunters here. They all think because it aint posted its open game. I am fortunate enough to have some rights to exclusive places here and we have had all my stands and cameras stolen this year. Thankfully we use the cheap dicks lock ons that we purchase for thirty bucks. But the point is I feel your pain but the idiots even give you problems on private land. Good luck on your search finding a small 50 acre piece to lease is tough, most properties are larger. Check the real estate offices up in that area. They usually have listings.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...