9A Success - How did you do???

HUNT6246

Just wondering how others did in 9A. I know there had to have been deer taken, but just wondered if the success rate was there for others. I'm hunting in the town of Newfane and this has been my worst season ever. Other family members only saw a few deer as well and they were during archery season only. Don't know if this is a widespread thing or just the limited area we have to hunt. Opening morning of shotgun, there were more shots in the 1/2 hour before dawn than there were the rest of the day. With all the DMP permits issued, there should have been a deer behind every bush. In our area, the corn didn't get cut until late and I think the deer spent a lot of time in there and with the posted signs many areas just weren't accessible. When I did some long range scouting, I just didn't see much for tracks either. Hope the rest of you had a better season than we did!

Below normal deer activity has been experienced throughout the northeast. Warm weather certainly had an impact and the herd is down in some areas that had a rough winter (but I doubt 9A). In 7R our sightings of fawns and yearlings was way below average. Sometimes there are seasons when deer and other game activity are low; or at least lower than we expect based on past seasons. There will be many theories and explanations, and many will look to fault predators or the DEC. As is usually the case, deer numbers and activity will bounce back and next season could be a banner year. Enjoy the hunt.

• 1 month later...

The fill rate is averaging about 9 % in this area. This is one of the lowest in the state. DEC want to take more deer out of your area, but not happening. Think they issued 17000 DMP, this past season. That number is sure to go up this coming season. Talking with a few people from there, some harvested more, some like your season. The deer are there, seen them in my travels around your town. Bet those orchards had deer in them during bow.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter