Utra-lite high peak hunting

dave6x6

Dinsdale mentioned alot of what i would have. I have yet to backpack hunt but i have the itch bad.

I would suggest in addition to the Osperay and Gregory packs the Mystery Ranch, Kirafu, Eberlystock and Kuiu packs. They make some hunting specific packs. Go lite and MRS gear along with the REI and EMS gear.

For clothing i like Pategonia for fleece and minus 33 or first light for wool. I would really like to try some Kuiu Gear - stuff looks really nice and reasonably priced. Guy that started that company also started Sitka which i think is now way over priced.

I didnt read every post so i don't know if its been mentioned but i like Mendil boots. I have also owned Asolo and Lowa which were nice. I have also heard good things about Kenetreck

Cummins, Good info. Sounds like you share my gear-aholic bug as well. LOL We have researched this area for years in the hopes of finding a trophy Mulie area that us working stiffs can pack up the truck and head west for DIY hunt on the cheap. Well we've finally found the right spot and my brother and buddy hunted it this past yr, and were so impressed that were taking two seperate hunting teams this year, but buying all the gear is getting expensive. I'm not complaining, i love buying stuff and finding great deals but i've had to decide which stuff i need right away, and which stuff i can borrow and purchase in the years to come. Our plan is to do this every year so i've got time to upgrade things as i need. Here is where i am at right now.

Clothing: Love the new Kuiu stuff by the way. Bought the softshell gloves to check out the quality and my buddy bought the complete line-up on a recomendation by our guide friend in Wyoming. I've become a huge fan of the new Russell Gear and as a matter of fact, i sold some of my Sitka gear to switch over to the Russell stuff. It's just better... Hard shell Russell Cyclone packable rain gear.. 2.5 layer, 4 way stretch, breathable.. Soft shell Russell Gale L4 for outerwear. Windproof, water resistant, breathable strech fabric.. EMS poly underlayer and probably Under Armour Evolution as well.. Cabelas packable synthetic down jacket in case it turns cold..

Boots: Your list was exactly like mine so i bought the Asolo Sasslong boots. Got a great deal and am super happy with that..

Backpack: I'm torn on this one because i have the choice of a Eberlestock or Badlands pack that i can borrow from a friend but really want to buy the Horn Hunter Big Horn pack for myself. May save the money this trip and borrow the Eberlestock..

Tent: All set there.. My brother has that ready to go. Really going to look into going Bivy next time like Dinsdale said.. Looks like a really good set-up for this type of hunt..

Food: Going to do the de-hydrated foods and have started to stock up on some already.. Still need to research and make sure i'm bringing the right stuff and getting the needed calories and all..Also need to purchase water purifier, probably gravity fed.

Cooking Gear: Have some stuff i can borrow, but will be purchasing ultra-lite stove and then buy the fuel when we land in Denver. Do everything titanium pot/cup ect..

Sleeping Stuff: Having tough choice here. Can't borrow some other fellas sleeping bag. LOL Would like to get 15-20 degree bag with pack weight under 3 lbs. Probably down not synthetic. Pack size is a major issue for me. I've found bags but got to find best price. Also need good quality tarp, and sleeping pad. These things are the major issues left so any advice on brands or deals out there would be helpful..

If you can borrow the pack I would dump the coin into a good sleeping bag.....Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering.

Friend has a spiral Mont-bell he likes....but I can't get used to a tight spiral design, to constricting for me.

I have a couple Marmot bags; they can be had at a decent price all the time.

One thing to watch is some bags have shorter zips to save weight, but they are not as versitile if temps are warmer than expected. My feet sweat and keeping moisture managment in down bags is important, a closed footbox that I can't vent doesn't work as good for me. YMMV.

On the food thing check out "Pack-It Gourmet" site for meals. Typically less sodium in their meals and i don't care for Mountain House meals. I mostly make my own, but use some of the Pack-it stuff.

Also Olive Oil is a great calorie boost for meals. Individual 1 oz. packits can be had cheap, 120 calories per ounce, and they taste great dumped into just about any entree. Easy to carry.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Marconi-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil-p11.html

Dinsdale. Once again you have given some great advice. Especially the bag/zipper info. I'll check it out. Also the olive oil is great idea. I'll check out that food site. Going to be bringing olive oil, some noodles, peanut butter, bacon bits and my venison jerky with the pack meals. Tomarrow we hike.. Thirty lbs to start and we'll try to get a few miles in up at Gononagan..