Utra-lite high peak hunting

dave6x6

I'm in the process of preparing for a do-it-yourself Colorodo Mule Deer hunt next Aug. The plan is to bow hunt Mulies in velvet above treeline.(12000 + ft.) We will be hunting 8 days with only what we can carry on our backs so needless to say every ounce needs to be concidered. Prioritizing things to bring needs to be done very carefully. I'm hoping to get some advice from some of you guys that are ultra lite campers. Even if you don't hunt that way, i'm thinking that you backpacker-campers could have some very useful info that i can use in Colorodo. Here are a few more details so that you have an idea of what i need.

Will be there in last week of Aug so day temps should be mild but nights most likely below freezing. Also we should be prepared for snow. The pack in will be about 8-10 miles from the trailhead and need to pack everything in for 8 days.

If anyone is familiar with ultra-lite backpacking, any advice in gear would be appreciated. Tents, Bags, Pads, Cooking stuff, and water purification stuff. Ect. Thanks

Assuming you will only be doing day hikes out of a main camp...

-Water filtration: I'd go for a base camp purifier like http://www.rei.com/product/737349/katadyn-base-camp-water-filter, and just fill bottles from that; hand pump filters also are good but require more work on your part.

-Tent: Check out http://www.steepandcheap.com. They offer a new deal every 20 minutes or so, and they put up at least one backpacking tent a day I've noticed, at really great prices

-Ultralight Stove: I wouldn't skimp on this. Try and get a nicer one if you can. MSR makes some pretty good stoves. Unless you can make a fire...then just bring that old cast iron frypan B)

-Packs: Check out Osprey Packs or Gregory. Both great quality and pretty light if that's what you're looking for. Expensive so buy them on sale. Some good packs are offered on steepandcheap.com from time to time.

-Bags: (sleeping bags). There are so many out there, just find the right temperature rating and decide between synthetic or goose down (ongoing debate). Just remember, the smaller/lighter you go at a fixed temp. rating, the more you will pay.

-If you plan on getting lots of snow, good snowshoes will be a necessity. I'd recommend MSR again http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4085830&cp=3712723.3718184

and a tad lighter but real pricey http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4082823&cp=3712723.3718184

-sleeping pads: sleeping pads? rocks will work. ;)

• Like 2

Dried food packets......

There is no way that you are going to pack cans of food or frozen products, or fresh vegetables and such way back in. There are some tremendous products and a wide variety when it comes to dried food products. Gander Mountain has a decent selection, and I would imagine Bass-pro and Cabelas has them too. Also check out the grocery store for dried foods. If the area has the fish supply, a fold-up back-packing fishing pole and a small assortment of lures can provide some fresh fish dinners to break up the monotony of constant instant dried meals.

merely an FYI - I have been in rocky mtn national park over 12,000 feet in August and it was still over 70 degrees up there, 90+ down in Boulder, CO. The air is thin up there and it definitely take at least a day to get used it and be able to catch your breath. Lastly, I'm a big fan of Cliff Bars.

• Like 1

I have not done any backback hunting but I used to guide backpacking trips for a week or 13 day periods.

In terms of a stove I have had experience with MSR's but prefer this model.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=36&gs_id=5d&xhr=t&pq=peakone+stove&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1368&bih=713&wrapid=tljp1323892816031285&q=coleman+backpacking+stoves+dual+fuel&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2946117582732463755&sa=X&ei=tAHpTtPjHuns0gGMzsXkCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CHgQ8wIwAg#

I would opt for a good inflating sleeping pad. Many of the models we used were not full length. They supported you form head to butt, but well worth the cpmfort and the added weight. http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Lightweight-Self-Inflating-Air/dp/B001LF3FR8/ref=pd_sbs_sg_or_1 Short style

I would choose an external fram pack that could be stripped of the pack itself to use the frame to carry game if you had to. 8 to 10 miles isn't a really big walk in. since you will be hunting out of that "base camp" you can splurge a little on some creature comforts. Like hot sauce to spice up the dreary dehydrated food...lol. I wuld buy the pack early and get used to it. Load it and take if for a local hike to see how much wieght you can comfortably manage on a 10 mile trip. Remember. you will be eating your food hich would be that much of your weight but you will be bringing a MONSTER muley out too.

Good luck

Just for conversation when researching you don't want to be ultra light hunting. The gear used for true ultra light I thnk would be tough to deal with on a multiple day hunt in your location. Thats JMO........BUT You sure can go lightwieght. My pack is always around 25-28 Lbs for 7 full days....add gun,ammo,optics.In your case bow and arrows. "Big 3".....they always make up the bulk of weight past food; Shelter; one option that is very popular is a tee-pee style shelter like a Go-lite ShangriLa 3 and a ground sheet. Lite and easy to set in varied terrain, very weather stable. You can add a ti wood stove and jack for heat and cooking depending on expected temps. I have a Big Agnes Fly creek 1 and 2, both I really like for a free standing.......but I don't share a tent when out and I think more a tarp-tent setup would be better for a pair at light weight. Sleeping bags;Most light folks use down bags. Synthetic bags weigh more, but keep their insulation properties better when wet. Down you have to be more careful with moisture including condensation, but it's lighter and usually more expensive. A good bag will last if properly cared for. Packs;Lots of great light packs, but they don't always carry a kill well. Still plenty of mountian hunters using a frame pack with seperate bag to take afield during the day. And you have to combine gear and a possible kill weight to pack out.

I'd go with a simple gravity filter for water.

Never sleep without the Neo-air pad...worth the 13 ozs.

Cooking,a Soto stove and Ti pot/cup a bit lighter or a Sol-ti jetboil, but that would be a close second........but I'd research that for high altitude....mine works good to 9,000 not sure on 12K. Light and cast iron NEVER go together. LOL

For food I do my own freezer-bag cooking and make my own meals.Mountain-house is to salty for me. Look for 120 calories per oz for a bulk of your daily req. I look for 4000/day if working hard and I'm OK....much less and I run a deficit that I can't spare(low body fat). About 1 1/2 closer to 2 lbs a day. Read here....some very good info on how to lighten up. Some folks are unreal to how low they go, but there is great info if you look around. (as most forums) http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/index.html Read posts there by Sarah Kirkconnel in the cooking forum and go to her site; good stuff.

Edited by Dinsdale

I tried to edit in but couldn't;

Here's how I do meals; making a freeze dried/dehydrated meal using just boiling water poured in a freezer zip lock bag in an insulated cozy to cook;

http://www.trailcooking.com/

Saves on washing dishes and such, but its not for everyone. My hiking partner likes to fuss over a pot and cook in the field; I just boil water. But we tend to not share gear either.....kinda stupid at times, but he would rather carry all his own stuff.

Some great info so far guys. Thanks for being very specific about equipment brands and models. I am actually pretty far along with the plans but it's making the choices on equipment and prioritizing items to bring that is giving me trouble. My brother and buddy did the hunt last yr. for the first run and then decided it was a good enough area to bring two seperate hunting teams this time. With the things they learned last yr., and with some fine tuning, i'll pull it together. Culver, you are right about the weather. It was 90 when they parked the car at the trail head but during the hunt,at elevation, for the most part they had beautiful sunny mild days but it did snow and sleet on a few nights as well. Should be good with quality wicking base layer, weather resistant mid weight primary hunting outfit, with highly packable synthetic down mid layer and ultra lite hard shell outfit if the weather turns harsh.

Your right that it's not true ultra-lite hunting but i need to think in those terms and make purchases with weight being the crucial factor. After all, i'm a silly eastern whitetailer on my first true DIY high peak hunt so i'm inclined to bring more than the pro's would and more than maybe next time when i have one trip under my belt. Planning on keeping the pack under 45lbs.

Please keep the specifics coming and i'll dig into these links and do some research . Thanks

I would start with this;

http://www.staples.com/Pelouze-5-lb-General-Purpose-Digital-Scales/product_499322

I weight small items as a group and have lists of individuals to add up.....great for figuring meals too.

You'll find it real handy; I take it right into the store with me when deciding between two items....manufacture specs are often averages.

Sounds anal; but ounces add up to pounds before you know it. My partner weighs stuff but can't get below 32-35 lbs to save his a$$. Just unwilling to carry less "stuff"; like 3 ways to start a fire and his piezo self igniting stove. LOL and a BIG rambo knife, and a camp knife, and a pocket knive, and a razor blade in his first aid kit. I'm all for saftey but it can get crazy too.....how many cutting implements can you need?(and we ain't cutting an animal up just backpacking)

Look at the Patagonia Nano puff series for an insulation layer....hooded or hoodless depending what you like....good balance for weight/insulation. A standard piece for me and MANY others.They have great direct sales of all their stuff on line.....sign up for the email alerts. I use their base layers also in Capilene; dries fast.

I like RAB stuff....have a few things, but their eVent gaiters are my favorites. Keeps the dew and crap out of your boots which helps with damp pants and socks for the rest of the day. Alpines are on sale right now too.....

http://www.prolitegear.com/site/xdpy/sbc/Rab/Gaiters

I carry this for a knife;http://www.havalon.com/xt60-edge.html

Super light; extra blades weight nothing and take seconds to change.One to skin,debone one whole deer, one to cape out the skull for fine work. I take a kitchen plastic victronox knife for heavier camp work/meals.

I'm trying to plan a New Zealand hunt right now, so even though I have most of my kit down; theres always something to research/organise. My biggest hurdle is finding someone who wants to go!

Dinsdale, great info. Thanks. Clothing gear is all set. Just bought a pair of Asolo's so boots are set. Pack is set.(Eberlestock). Bino's set but need to do some searching for spotting scopes. Hoping to maybe borrow that. Bag, pad and possibly emergency tarp are next things to look for. Hoping to find some deals so i can buy quality without breaking the bank. I'll filter through your suggestions but keep them coming as you think of them.. By the way, Red Stag in NZ?

Last words looking at your post.....

"it's making the choices on equipment and prioritizing items to bring that is giving me trouble"

Segement your lists, examine each area and solve it;

shelter/sleeping/pack....they are the big 3 both in cost and weight.

Shelter; tent/tarps/ground cloth/stakes/poles/lines etc

Sleeping gear; bag/pad/clothes to sleep in(these can double in case of extreme drop in temps for field layers)/camp shoes

Cooking and camp stuff; stove/fuel/pots/utensils/water storage

Field wear; clothes for on your way in/layering/rain gear

Meals; planned by the day/extra day(S) just in case.

First aid/personal;toilet paper/hand sanitizer

Pack and frame to fit it all;

Bag, pad and possibly emergency tarp are next things to look for. Hoping to find some deals so i

Consider a bivy sack for this....

You can carry it afield for an emergency night out; acts like a tent.

Adds temp to your bag if they drop way below expected.

You can sit on it to glass folded up.

Heres a "heavy" at 15 oz version. you can cut that to 10ozs easy but you'll pay more.

http://www.rei.com/product/794292/rei-minimalist-bivy-sack-regular

A couple things to consider hydration and being in top shape to hunt at 12 thousand feet I used a camelback system fits in your pack, and has a tube to drink out of do not need a bottle. also at altitude some people have a hard time adjusting, headaches or nausea I also use a hydration mix and recovery mix made for biking comes in powder easy to carry mixes with water.what part of Co are you hunting in ?

Wish that was my pic but just copied it from the hunting guide for that unit. Just posted it to get a feel for the terrain.. WNY your aunt is very blessed to live out there. My brother was in Crested Butte for a while being a ski bumb and then spent time in Gunnison..

Edited by dave6x6

I'm in the process of preparing for a do-it-yourself Colorodo Mule Deer hunt next Aug. The plan is to bow hunt Mulies in velvet above treeline.(12000 + ft.) We will be hunting 8 days with only what we can carry on our backs so needless to say every ounce needs to be concidered. Prioritizing things to bring needs to be done very carefully. I'm hoping to get some advice from some of you guys that are ultra lite campers. Even if you don't hunt that way, i'm thinking that you backpacker-campers could have some very useful info that i can use in Colorodo. Here are a few more details so that you have an idea of what i need.

Will be there in last week of Aug so day temps should be mild but nights most likely below freezing. Also we should be prepared for snow. The pack in will be about 8-10 miles from the trailhead and need to pack everything in for 8 days.

If anyone is familiar with ultra-lite backpacking, any advice in gear would be appreciated. Tents, Bags, Pads, Cooking stuff, and water purification stuff. Ect. Thanks

Dave I would get in shape before you go, do some hiking carrying a loaded back pack with the weight you will be carrying.

Dave I would get in shape before you go, do some hiking carrying a loaded back pack with the weight you will be carrying.

ya no doubt. I'll be as ready as i can be and hope the altitude thing does not hit me too hard. Wyoming at 9000 ft was pretty much no problem but this will be in a different leaque. Planning a couple of dry runs in the ADK in the summer and in the meantime, i'll be loading the pack and hitting the trails as often as i can. I'll also be riding the bike to work every day i can which is 11 miles each way and some weight training as well. Luckily i'm at a good starting point right now but my goal is to not let my body limit any oportunities i may come across out there.. Don't want any regrets so i'll be ready..