2011 Season Summary

sampotter

I did quite a bit of hunting this year. Here is what I saw for deer while hunting:

293 Total deer

-215 does and fawns

-78 antlered bucks

-40 yearling bucks

-21 2yrold bucks

-16 3yrold bucks

-1 4yr old buck

About 50% of the deer I saw I could have taken a good shot on, but passed including the majority of the bucks. I did shoot 1 3yrold (velvet) and the 4yr old buck in CT on 9/15/11 and I shot one mature doe on the second to last day of ML in NY. 4 of the bucks were seen in CT along with 2 does. All other deer were in NY. I had many days during bow season when I saw 15 or more deer within 30 yards, but things really shut down during gun season like it always does. I can't complain.

I only count the same deer twice if I see it on different days. As I said- deer sightings- not individual deer. No high fence- just lots of stand time, scent-free obsession, and a low impact approach. On one sit I had 17 does/fawns and a yearling 5pt within 30 yards of me all at once while I was 10 feet up a tree in a hedgerow- and the wind was at my back. There's nothing like trying to be absolutely rock-still while several big does are giving you the eye at 5 yards. I never sat there again because I couldn't have shot if I wanted too.