February bass

greybeard

The weather today was pretty warm so I figured I'd try the local pond for catch and release pickerel.

I had one small pickerel chase a soft plastic, but didn't take it. I then decided to try slow rolling a spinner bait thru some heavy cover and in short order caught a largemouth bass the measured 18 inches. I released it and moved a few feet down and caught and released a 19 inch bass. Both bass were very fat which surprised me and really fought hard.

I have never caught largemouth in February so it was a great surprise.

I was going to take pictures, but I didn't want to keep them out of the water that long and wanted to release them quickly so I didn't take pictures.

I have caught a few thru the ice. Its kinda fun. I have noticed that the eggs in the fish are very large, so i suspect an early spawning. Caught some of my biggest largemouth thru the ice, lol. and yes, i always release them.(eggs in walleye, burbot and perch)

Edited by tughillhunter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I should have done more freshwater fishing in winter throughout my life. I wasted lotsa winter days when I coulda been lake fishing.

This past month I caught quite a few Bass that were really big (Big by my standards anyway). I got a bunch of pickerel too, I've caught pickerel in winter before,so I expected some of those. Guess I woulda got more Pickerel too if I spent more time at it...I love catching both Largemouth Bass and Pickerel so it really made my winter memorable..

Most of my past winter fishing had been for Herring and sometimes Mackerel. I enjoy gettin' them too, but not as much as the bass and pickerel.