Bow mount for Iphone 4

I've been researching for months on getting a new HD video camera to film my hunts. Lo and behold I finally realized I have an Iphone which shoots HD video. So I decided to look for a mount. I've come across several different mounts all of which were minimum $30. After looking at several different styles, I decided I would try to build one myself.

Materials:

1 cheap Iphone hardcase (must be a hardcase) - $10 at target

1 3" bracket with holes. - .69 cents

2 6/32 flat head screws, washers & nuts - $1

Flat black spray paint - had sitting around

Felt - $1.50 at target

Drill and different size bits - had sitting around

Dremel rotary tool and grinding head

First place the 3" bracket in a vise. Using a 5/16 drill bill enlarge the bottom hole of the bracket to 5/16. This is to accommodate the size of the screw of the stabilizer. After drilling the hole while still in the vise, round off the edges of the bracket.

Place the Iphone case on a flat surface. Place the bracket with the smaller holes at the top. Make sure to measure the total height from the top of your stabilizer to the bottom of your arrow shelf to make sure that the phone will not block your arrow's path. Place the bracket on the back of the case and mark where the holes through the bracket. Using a 6/32 drill bit drill the holes in the case.

Stick two 6/32" flat head screws through the inside of the case and attach the bracket using the washers and nuts. Do not over tighten to avoid cracking the case. Using a small piece of felt cover the heads of the screws on the inside of the bracket to avoid scratching the back of your Iphone.

Using flat black paint, spray paint the entire case and bracket and let dry overnight.

I use the 8" NAP Appache stabilizer which comes with a 2" carbon extension bar that attaches to the bow and then the stabilizer screws into that bar. Place the bracket onto the screw of the stabilizer and screw it into the extension bar. Secure the bracket so that it is upright and level. Snap in your Iphone and voila, there you have it!

Here are a video and some photos

http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g382/jmasiakos/?action=view&current=cd832d36.mp4

6285012f.jpg

811a8ef0.jpg

Edited by Deerthug

Have not had a chance to test it out yet. I need to repaint the case. The black paint didn't take well. I think I may have to prime it first and then repaint it. I will be testing it out this weekend. I hope the phone doesn't go flying. That would not be good! :(

Thats a pretty cool idea... beats bringing and setting up a video camera everytime you go to your stand!!!

I have a small handheld video camera which I bring with me to film different angles like my expression when I hit or most likely miss the shot -LOL! The iPhone cam will be used to film the shot and the other I set up on a monopod if in a blind or a clamp pod I built to attach to my gun rail on my tree stand. Takes couple of minutes to set up.