Grilled Venison Slider Burgers

CDN

IMG_7730.jpg

Venison burgers are a favorite around my house, especially in the summer on Sunday afternoons around the pool. We like to use pure venison, no added fat. This recipe is the same as I would use for big full size deer burgers, but for this cook we cut them down to slider burger size.

What you'll need:

Ground vension ( a 1 pound package will make about 6 sliders)

Egg whites, about 3 per 1 pound of ground venison

Plain oatmeal

Old WoodFire Grill's KK's 10 BBQ Rub

Montreal steak seasoning

Olive Oil or grill spray

Hickory, pecan or mesquite wood or chunks

In a large bowl, combine the ground venison and the egg whites and fold until thoroughly mixed. Add oatmeal, a little at a time, and continue to fold until the mixture has a sticky consistency. This will make them hold together well without using added fat. Pat the meat out into small burgers and place on a cookie sheet. Season with Old WoodFire Grill's KK's 10 BBQ Rub and Montreal steak seasoning. Place in the refrigerator for about an hour prior to cooking. This will also help to soildify the burgers and prevent them from coming apart.

IMG_7707.jpg

Start your grill by buiding a medium to hot fire, around 350-400 degrees. For this cook I used the Weber Kettle, and I used a large chimney full of lump charcoal, fully lit. Bank the charcoal on one side, to create a hot side and a cool side. Throw a chunk of wood on the coals to give it a little smoke flavor. I really like mesquite for my burgers, but in my opinion hickory and pecan are good choices also. When the coals are burning good and the flames have died down, carefully coat the cooking grate with olive oil and place the burgers on the grate, directly over the coals. Let them cook for about 2-3 minutes, then flip and repeat. Once they have finished on the hot side, move them to the cool side and place a half slice of cheese on each one, close the lid and let it melt.

IMG_7719.jpg

Once the cheese has melted, remove the slider burgers from the grill and place a few buns on the cool side to toast. Serve them up with Old WoodFire Grill's Beer Battered Fries.

Wow....You have made me very hungry....will definitely try this. (Question: OK to use the whole egg?)

Sure you could use the whole egg. I just do that to cut back a little cholesterol, but it wouldn't make that much difference, and would probably make them stick even better.

They look really good. Going to try them tomorrow night. Now I only wish we could lay around the pool here. Maybe in 4 months, give or take. Thanks for sharing.

Hey man, don't feel bad, it's about the same here, and I'm in the deep south!!