Hunting Public land

Thyme

Hi Everyone, 

This is my first year hunting. I live in long island, so I can only rifle hunt in lands upstate. I'm considering going to Bashakill this weekend. I've hunted several state lands over the last few weekends without any luck, or even seeing any Deer, only saw few tracks, but no bedding areas. I'm willing to drive 3-4 hours maybe even longer if there is a public land area worth checking out. I'm hoping to get my first Deer before rifle season ends next weekend. After than I'll transition to bowhunting on Long Island. If there are any state lands anyone can suggest, or if anyone knows much about Bashakill, that would be very helpful if it's worth going to or if I should go somewhere else. 

Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

If you tried Sterling Forest- you will need a $5 Hunting permit available  at the large visitors center on Long Meadow Road.

Ask to see the Manager and ask about good Deer Areas.

thanks for the suggestion. I'll look it up. Do you think Bashakill will be crowded on weekends like this upcoming one, where it's much colder? I mean I don't know the area, so I'm not sure if there will be any deer there for me lol. 

2 hours ago, Thyme said:

Hi Everyone, 

This is my first year hunting. I live in long island, so I can only rifle hunt in lands upstate. I'm considering going to Bashakill this weekend. I've hunted several state lands over the last few weekends without any luck, or even seeing any Deer, only saw few tracks, but no bedding areas. I'm willing to drive 3-4 hours maybe even longer if there is a public land area worth checking out. I'm hoping to get my first Deer before rifle season ends next weekend. After than I'll transition to bowhunting on Long Island. If there are any state lands anyone can suggest, or if anyone knows much about Bashakill, that would be very helpful if it's worth going to or if I should go somewhere else. 

Thanks. 

do you have a deer shotgun? if so, check out the DEP lands in Putnam and Dutchess county. Or a bow for westchester county.

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

do you have a deer shotgun? if so, check out the DEP lands in Putnam and Dutchess county. Or a bow for westchester county.

I don't have a deer shotgun. I'm solely doing rifle for now. Then will do bow when rifle season ends. But for bow I can do that in Suffolk county which is easier for me to get too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thyme said:

I don't have a deer shotgun. I'm solely doing rifle for now. Then will do bow when rifle season ends. But for bow I can do that in Suffolk county which is easier for me to get too.

my Dad and I hunted this a bunch in the 90's and 2000's. He hunted it since the 1960's.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/9152.html Rifles allowed and 13,500 acres. hike up & drag down. 3 points to a side antler restrictions to keep in mind

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 4:36 PM, blackbeltbill said:

It will be Crowded with Pheasant Hunters  as well as Hikers on the weekends.

thanks for the suggestion. I ended up going to Sterling, there was a lot of hunters there as well. Seems very pressured, but I did see a lot of activity, but no deer. 

• Like 1

thanks for the suggestion. I'll look it up. Do you think Bashakill will be crowded on weekends like this upcoming one, where it's much colder? I mean I don't know the area, so I'm not sure if there will be any deer there for me lol. 

I have hunted bashakill before it can be some very tough hunting due to terrain. But there are deer in there that’s for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mowin said:

Are you looking for antlers only? 

I've got a couple spots I can take you to if you're interested in taking a doe. I've got the proper doe tag I could sign over to you. I'm in northern Columbia county.  

Even though it would be great to get some antlers, I'm open to taking a doe. I just have to verify again if my tag allows for it. I vaguely remember it saying either sex, but I can't verify it right now. 

7 minutes ago, Thyme said:

Even though it would be great to get some antlers, I'm open to taking a doe. I just have to verify again if my tag allows for it. I vaguely remember it saying either sex, but I can't verify it right now. 

If rifle hunting, your regular season tag is for a buck only during that season. It switches to a either sex tag during the late bow/ML season. 

I have a DMP tag I can sign over to you for the area I hunt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Are you looking for antlers only? 

I've got a couple spots I can take you to if you're interested in taking a doe. I've got the proper doe tag I could sign over to you. I'm in northern Columbia county.  

This statement right here is what represents a true sportsman! @Thymeyou’d be crazy to not take up this offer. Not everyday that someone offers to take out a stranger and show them spots. Definitely would never happen here on LI. Again, @mowinthats a pretty standup thing to do

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mowin said:

If rifle hunting, your regular season tag is for a buck only during that season. It switches to a either sex tag during the late bow/ML season. 

I have a DMP tag I can sign over to you for the area I hunt. 

21 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

This statement right here is what represents a true sportsman! @Thymeyou’d be crazy to not take up this offer. Not everyday that someone offers to take out a stranger and show them spots. Definitely would never happen here on LI. Again, @mowinthats a pretty standup thing to do

@mowin thanks so much for the offer. I'm totally down to do it. Send me a message to coordinate, I'm available Thursday, Friday, and Sunday(last rifle day). 

@bruno1 You are absolutely right. I'm so glad to be a part of this community where people like @mowin are here to help us new hunters. 

• Like 3