Is the SAFE Act OK now?

It seems the outrage over the SAFE Act in the State of NY has passed.  Too often I hear NY gun owners speaking in terms of acceptance of the law, rather than being outraged by it.  There doesn't seem to be a grass roots resistance anymore, or even a desire to fight it now.  Am I missing something or is this really the case?

Actually, there can be temporary acceptance of the law. After all it did pass and currently is part of the legal system. That of course does not mean that it is not still viewed with outrage.

However, I do understand your point. The demonstrations have all disappeared. The New York State Outdoor News has gone silent on the issue. This forum has gone silent on the issue. All of the updates on whatever legal activity pro-gun groups have in the works have gone silent. I sense a gun-owner mood of having been beaten into submission. For some reason we believe that because Cuomo survived the election that we failed and were beaten. There is a strange effect of all the doom and gloom becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. We seem to have overlooked the fact that local races that excluded the impact of NYC, were by and large won by pro-gun forces, and a lot of gun control Politian's were sent packing.

Does that mean that the battle is won or lost? No, this election should be viewed as a shot across the bow for legislators who might be considering further attempts on gun rights. Watching their buddies taking a hit for what they wrongly assumed was a penalty free action, I think has been shown to only be a safe gesture within NYC and other bastions of liberalism. Our outrage peaked a little early relative to the elections, or perhaps we could have gotten Cuomo too. But I will, for the time being, accept the changes of the face of NYS legislative make-up as being the first in what is hoped to be series of victories that will eventually lead to the gutting of the Safe Act.

Yes, I am concerned that gun-owners feel defeated and beaten into submission. I am also unhappy that the issue has lost momentum and attention. I'm not sure how to re-kindle that fire. It also is not clear just what the next-steps should be. This is where we need some guidance from our gun advocacy organizations.... the brain-trust of the pro-gun movement.

Well, I think there is still outrage and much unhappiness here. I know you moved out-of-state but if you drive along the upstate highways and byways you'll still see plenty of "Repeal the Safe Act " signs.  They are everywhere it seems.  I think most of us know we can only win by defeating it at the ballot box.  That was nearly done in the last election as Rob Astorino won Upstate in spite of the fact that he wasn't even backed by the Republican party big shots like senator Skelos who made back room deals with the Cuomo organization:.  http://nypost.com/2014/11/10/cuomo-had-a-secret-re-election-pact-with-republicans/    The National Republican party was also pretty much MIA .  If we had decent Republican party support at the State and National levels he might of won the popular statewide vote.   Maybe next time.   See map below. 

post-725-0-49296600-1422742225_thumb.jpg

It seems the outrage over the SAFE Act in the State of NY has passed.  Too often I hear NY gun owners speaking in terms of acceptance of the law, rather than being outraged by it.  There doesn't seem to be a grass roots resistance anymore, or even a desire to fight it now.  Am I missing something or is this really the case?

I'm afraid it's looking that way... lots of apathetic gun owners... not surprising after seeing the amount of gun owners that didn't feel it was necessary to get out and vote during the last election.

We had our chance to vote all the a-holes out & didn't, I say the law makers are all laughing at us! I also believe there should have been rallies the weekend before election day to get everyone pumped up to vote.  I think all has settled  down & even the law makers that were on our side stopped the fight to repeal the safe act.

I do drive along the highways of upstate still, and I see the signs, but I don't feel the passion for the fight anymore.  My upstate residence has now become my weekend place again and I worry about even bringing a firearm into NY at this point.  And I mean a bolt action deer rifle.  I'm not sure how the SAFE Act is understood by LEO's in NY these days, as many of them have personally told me they don't even really know what's legal anymore.

NY groups that have seemed to become dominant do not want to do anymore rallies.

NYSRP caused major division last year and messed with the psyche of NYS gun owners that participated. That is the heart of the dagger.  The NRA distances from grassroots that pushes the edge, even if performed respectfully.

Electoral politics is the dominant flavor of action that is being pursued. It is being accepted for a "lessening" of the safe act that is being sponsored in legislation.

And, the eggs are in one basket to believe in (for those who see this as the only route) -  lawsuits.  Not sure of Ostrowski's but other NYS and Connecticut's lawsuit base 2A infringement on personal protection from other commoners not what the 2A is about -  the people's last resort protection from an over-reaching government. Until groups and lawsuits represent what the 2A is really about, the future is still a watered down grassroots representation. 

Attempts to introduce more assertive grassroots action gains no traction.

It will take some different/new group(s) that will have to come to the forefront with Washington State type courage.  But it looks like the massive majority of NYS gun owners who have participated and/or shown interest in some type of  anger towards the safe act, will not join in on more assertive representation/action. Americans in general, are afraid.

Edited by tony m