Scoring whitetails on the hoof

bigpaul

I do like to use the 80" for 2.5 yr olds and 90" for deer that look to be 3.5 yr olds. That is the inside spread + both main beam lengths + both mass measurements. Remembering these measurements allows you to just concentrate on tine length when a deer shows up. (2.5's ----16"+32"+32"=80") (3.5---- 18"+40"+34"=92") If you know these figures then you can quickly size up the lengths of the tines on one side and double that. Add the two together and you'll be pretty close. I don't think i've ever sized a deer up like this before i shot it, but it comes in handy when your back from the days hunt and are discribing the deer you saw on stand.

Experience is really the best way to know about what a deer scores in the field... things like knowing that most 8-points won't reach 150 class in NY (unless they are exceptionally large) tell you that if you are looking for 150 or better... it will need to have at least 10 points usually.

• Like 1

think it mostly comes with seat time really... ive gotten pretty dang good at scoring one on the hoof from watching alot of DVDs, i mean alot lol and sitting in the woods getting close to them... i visually size up some of my buddies deer and come within just a few inches so i must be doing something right lol.

think it mostly comes with seat time really... ive gotten pretty dang good at scoring one on the hoof from watching alot of DVDs, i mean alot lol and sitting in the woods getting close to them... i visually size up some of my buddies deer and come within just a few inches so i must be doing something right lol.

That kind of experience is just as good... the more you see the better you get at it... even if you can't get the score on the money you can at least tell what class its in... I usually don't score the buck on the hoof... I am only concerned with it being mature with a decent amount of bone on it's head...

When you see a big deer, there will be no need to be doing any calculating. There is no mistaking a 140" deer or better. For those interested in making the P&y or NYS books or for those wanting to shoot 3.5 yr olds or better, it's those 120" to 135'' bucks that can be tricky to judge in the excitement of the moment. Admittedly, I have a bit of a quick trigger and i also am easily satisfied with any buck i decide to shoot so I've mis-judged a few, but they have never disappointed me.