fishing keuka lake

oldkevin

Nice !! a friend of mine has a hunting camp in Hammondsport. we use to do pretty well in that creek that runs out of the lake into the village. cant remember the name of it. ......But nice catch.

Nice !! a friend of mine has a hunting camp in Hammondsport. we use to do pretty well in that creek that runs out of the lake into the village. cant remember the name of it. ......But nice catch.

The name of the stream is Cold Brook, and the rainbow and brown trout runs have not been very good there the last few years..

As oldkevin's picture would indicate, the lake trout fishery is thriving albeit most of the fish are on the small side.. The current opinion is that the lakers are overpopulated and are eating themselves out of house and home, and eating up most of the immature rainbows and browns..

my son and i and a friend of ours fished keuka lake on the branchport end boat 17 out of about 20 and kept 9post-1608-0-39809000-1341702689_thumb.jp

How were you fishing , Kevin..

Rigs...Downriggers....Dipseys.... Copper...Jigging... Bait...?....

The name of the stream is Cold Brook, and the rainbow and brown trout runs have not been very good there the last few years..

As oldkevin's picture would indicate, the lake trout fishery is thriving albeit most of the fish are on the small side.. The current opinion is that the lakers are overpopulated and are eating themselves out of house and home, and eating up most of the immature rainbows and browns..

Sounds like they need a slot limit for a while to pull out the smaller fish. too often by the time overpopulation of predators in lakes isn't handled until a major crash.

Culver...The subject is currently being addressed by increasing the daily creel limit to 5 lakers per day... I read this on another forum..As I understand it, it is NOT in effect yet, but will be soon..

Personally, I'm not sure how much that will help.. Many fishermen , myself included, don't keep limits of lake trout...In my opinion they don't freeze well, so I tend to keep a fish or two to eat fresh and release the rest. While I realize that keeping more fish would be good for the resource, I can't bring myself to kill fish if they are going to waste..

Same here. I love fish....especially trout but am the only one in the house to eat it so freezing is on my mind too. I really don't freeze many anymore unless it is small trout frozen in blocks of ice. Probably all in my head...lol. When I used to do a lot of finger lake fishing I wouud freeze the rainbows and browns though because there was more than one meal there. never kept lakers so i bet you are right on the money with your take.

pygmy trolling with stainless wire off of bottom with single silver spoon and some of down riggers most of the fish we have been catching are all about 15 inches with very few over 21/2 pounds. the best ones are about 4 lbs. zebra musscels had a lot to due with the boom in lakers i belive you dont see the sawbellies like you use to due due no pakton but thats my thoughts. but you are right about the limit. i dont keep the fish i release them back unless someone afew then ill keep some for them.