stands in state forests...

deerpassion

So it was my impression that stands are NOT allowed on WMA's, must pack in and out each time, but on State Forest Land I thought is was no sooner than 30 days before season you could put a stand out and leave it up till the end of big game season... just recently got my bow certification out of the way and the instructor now says that no stands are allowed to sit on ANY state land for any period of time... anyone have any thoughts on this? gonna call the DEC and verify this soon!!!!

I remember reading somewhere that leaving a stand is not allowed on public land, however I think you can leave it 1 night as long as it is labelled. I'd love to hear what you find out to be clear, I cannot find where I read that now.

I come across permanent and all season portable stands on public land all the time however. Very frustrating especially when I am lugging in my 35 pounder everytime to obey the law.

Temporary, portable tree stands and hunting blinds may be placed at Hunting Areas beginning on the first day of pre-season scouting (14 days prior to opening day of deer season). All tree stands and blinds must be marked with the user’s name, Access Permit number, and telephone number. Tree stands and hunting blinds must not damage trees and must be removed at the end of the season.

I also found this Permanent tree stands are prohibited. However, a tree stand or blind is allowed, provided that it does not injure any trees, is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number, and is placed and used during big game season, migratory game bird season, or turkey season, but no more than thirty days in one location per calendar year.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4081.html

w. No person shall erect, construct, install, maintain, store, discard or abandon any structure or any other property on State lands or subsequently use such structure or property on State lands, except if the structure or property is authorized by the department or is:

1. a geocache that is labeled with the owner's name and address and installed in a manner that does not disturb the natural conditions of the site or injure a tree;

2. a camping structure or equipment that is placed and used legally pursuant to this Part;

3. a legally placed trap or appurtenance that is placed and used during trapping season;

4. a tree stand or hunting blind that does not injure a tree, is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number, and is placed and used during big game season, migratory game bird season, or turkey season; or

5. a wildlife viewing blind or stand that is placed for a duration not to exceed thirty (30) days in one location per calendar year, does not injure a tree, and is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number

We had a lengthy discussion on this last year as well. I do believe there is a difference in reference to a tree stand or hunting blind versus a viewing blind or stand. But once again this leaves thing open to interpretation on both the DEC and the one who hangs the stand. When I asked DEC down to camp he said just have to take it down last day of the season, and if they found it after that period they would remove it and it would go up for sale on an auction. Also was mentioned that trail cameras would be considered personal property and could not be left on state land. I bet if you asked 10 different officers you would get 10 different answers as well. lol

Edited by wdswtr

Either way I would really think twice about leaving a stand or camera on any public land. On this site alone I've heard of people property being stolen even on private land. I got a tree climber and it only weighs 16lbs. It goes in with me and out every time.

Either way I would really think twice about leaving a stand or camera on any public land. On this site alone I've heard of people property being stolen even on private land. I got a tree climber and it only weighs 16lbs. It goes in with me and out every time.

ya i've got the summit open shot which weighs roughly 15 or 16 that is going to be 95% percent of my hunting, but i've got this one spot in a state forest that is swamp with huge old rubs that just doesn't lend itself to a climber and it is right on the edge of bedding, so makin a bunch a racket hooken up a climber is not and option in there, would rather just set a ladder in there and be done with it so i can just climb up and be as quiet as possible.... thanks for the input

yeah its definately a risk. I have at times left my climber overnight at the base of a tree when I got down that evening with plans to hunt the same spot in the morning. Even then I am nervous about it.

I hope you at least lock it up with a cable lock when leaving over night, they're cheap, don't weigh nothin , and at least give me a little peice of mind its gonna be there for the morning sit...

Yep it gets locked. Dont do it very often but every once in awhile if I want to hit the same spot in the morning when Im using the climber I leave it behind. Always walk out at dark and back in before light. Now dont any of you go following me around this season waiting for a free climber. :fie:

I haven't checked this season, but I believe the rule has been portable, non permanent stands that had to be removed with in 30 days after the end of the season. Also, I have had both stand and cameras stolen from state and private land. ...

I haven't checked this season, but I believe the rule has been portable, non permanent stands that had to be removed with in 30 days after the end of the season. Also, I have had both stand and cameras stolen from state and private land. ...

did you have a lock box on the camera?

just put a big chain on it.One that takes some umph to cut and a good size lock.Best setup is a lock on with climbing sticks.Take the bottom section of sticks with you.That way no one else can use it.Plus it makes it harder to steal.

Just remove it at the end of the season and its all good.

Still.Climbers are the way to go.Get a viper or something aluminum and light that you can sit in for a loooooong time.

just put a big chain on it.One that takes some umph to cut and a good size lock.Best setup is a lock on with climbing sticks.Take the bottom section of sticks with you.That way no one else can use it.Plus it makes it harder to steal.

Just remove it at the end of the season and its all good.

Still.Climbers are the way to go.Get a viper or something aluminum and light that you can sit in for a loooooong time.

i've got the summit open shot, only weighs 15 pounds and great for bow hunting as is resembles a lock on set up when up in the tree... thick 3 inch padded seat is great... not worried about that, its one particular small swamp with bedding in it that i don't want to make a bunch a raquet setting up a climber, rather just set a ladder and be done with it, slip up the ladder ever so quietly ...