Hi Hunters! Looking for gun safety and shotgun lessons for 13 year old son

rkhnolan

Hi there

I am new to your forum; thanks for having it. I am looking for:

1. A gun safety class for a 13 year old boy who loves to shoot

2. Shotgun/rifle (don't know the difference) lessons for him, perhaps at a gun club or private with an expert would be good; weekly or twice a week til the season starts (we will be around but you probably won't) Group classes fine also just can't find any.

3. Can pay reasonable amount.

4. Location: Beacon NY. Will drive to Orange, southern Ulster, Putnam, an hour.

THANKS A LOTpost-2401-0-58561200-1345638091_thumb.jp

There is a indoor shooting range between Goshen and Florida NY in Orange County. I don't know if they offer private shooting lessons but you could try them. You mat also try a local trap shooting range alot of the offer youth leages.

If you're talking about Davis Shooting Sports over at Goshen, I don't know if they offer training other than pistol safety training. They have a great friendly staff so if you call them, maybe they'll know of something.

Davis Shooting Sports: (845) 651-7000

You could also try calling the public range at Blue Mountain Sportsman Center. It's just south of Peekskill (I think that's within an hour of Beacon). I don't think they have classes, but I'm sure the range master would be more than willing to assist if/when you have your own gun or they can direct you to an instructor.

Being in wNY, I can't offer assistance. But I can say kudos to you for taking the step to get your son involved in something he is interested in doing.

Maybe someone here can step up and consider a mentor capacity to this young man.

Also, maybe look into the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF). The head of that group is actually president of the NYS Outdoor Writer's Association...and he's is a top-notch guy with a ton of connections. I'm sure he'd be willing to direct you to someone who can help.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Thank you ALL for your helpful and thoughtful remarks.

1. He and I (ha!) are enrolled in a DEC Hunter Safety Training Class at Stonykill next month. Thanks for that great tip.

2. I had been investigating local clubs and none with lessons in fall only spring.

3. I do not even know what a hunting guardian is. Can someone please explain??

Thank you again

Rkhnolan

I think what they mean by hunting guardian is an experienced adult hunter to take your son into the woods. If I had children, I wouldn't allow them to only sit through an couple of days of hunter's safety course, take a few shots in the range, hand them a deadly weapon, and send them into the woods on their own. Not trying to tell you how your should raise yours but it definitely is something to think about.

Edited by Elmo

I have a 21 year old daughter with no interest in hunting, and things have changed so much since I was young. I do know at your sons age he needs to be accompanied by an adult with a hunting license, parent, legal guardian, or mentor over 21 with 3 years experience. Check out Dec's wed site i'm sure it will tell you much more. My father had and still has no interest in hunting, It was mainly my uncles and cousins and my grandfather that got me into it. My father had gone with us a few times at first but left it up to my family to keep me inline. I think they did a good job of it.

Edited by Marti375

Thanks for the input. I would never let him hunt on his own! I guess the next step after this course, Is to find shooting lessons, and then perhaps a gun of our own (we don't own one) if I can find someone who will take him out with them.

Or he may take another route first and decide to target shoot before he hunts. I just need to find a place to do that. I checked into a few around here and gun clubs are expensive and they don't seem to have junior memberships. Any thoughts on the lessons and the target shooting? I am hoping someone at the local class might have some ideas.

Thank you all so much

I hope you find something, it's a great adventure to partake in, and one that will carry over into many areas of his life. You learn woodsmanship, how to handle and work with firearms (often that helps when tinkering with other mechanical items around a house), etc.