NY Reloaders I need your advice.....

bushnell

"neck sizing only" will extend the life of your brass considerably. but as stated above, keep an eye out for extraction issues.

Brass life probably will not be a question in a slide action rifle as I doubt the OP is going to be pounding away with it for fun!

No I am not planning on pounding away with it. Just looking at a cheaper solution to start shooting more. Tired of paying $30 for 20 rounds of ammo. If my calculations are correct I can reload a box of 20 for about $9.20.

Thinking about getting the following:

Bullets- Remington 140 gr core lokt soft points

Primer- Remington No. 9 1/2

Powder- Hodgdon H4350

Just me but I wouldn't put the cart before the horse.I wouldn't worry about components until you read wahtever reloadign manual you settle on. There may actually be recommendations of things to avoid by the manufacturer of the equipment you choose. (My Lee Turre with the priming says to avoid Federal primers in the unit). I have no idea why but I wasn't going to risk it). There may be items like that so I would read...read...then read....lol. those bullets and primers are great at first glance and I use both in some of my loads. (check out Sierra Game kings as well). I don't have any experience with the 280 or the H4350 but there are several powders adequate for the round. I chose powdersthat, while maybe not pefect would do a GOOD job in multiple calibers for me. Just cut down on the number of powders I have laying around. The other tip I read that I really really like is knowing the volume of your cartrige and selecting a powder that will fill the casing at least half way. This really is a safety check since you can't put a double charge in the case.

You will really enjoy the process.

No I am not planning on pounding away with it. Just looking at a cheaper solution to start shooting more. Tired of paying $30 for 20 rounds of ammo. If my calculations are correct I can reload a box of 20 for about $9.20.

Thinking about getting the following:

Bullets- Remington 140 gr core lokt soft points

Primer- Remington No. 9 1/2

Powder- Hodgdon H4350

9.20 is about spot on for over the counter (non-bulk) prices, not including brass.