Long Island 8 Pt. Buck video

RichZ7

My buddy pulled his card from his cam we set out recently and had this surprise on it. I was thinking he's a 2.5y/o or maybe a 3.5y/o. What do you guys think? I have to say he is real nice looking and might end up on our hit list. He might be too hard to pass up if the opportunity presents itself. We just got permission to hunt here and got excited over seeing him. He also had a spike and a doe with him on another clip my buddy had. Thats the good news. Now for the bad...... as you can see he's coming out into this open meadow area. Behind him is a real thick nasty section of woods. The problem is that there are really no trees suitable to put a treestand in and even if there was it is so thick in there that shot placement would be risky. The idea of a ground blind might be the way to go either in the meadow or on the edge of the woodline but we dont want to set something up now and throw him off or spook him out of there. Any ideas???? I guess its a good dilemma to be in....LOL. <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iFujgGW9PdI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by RichZ7

are you hunting private where its not disturbed to much? out here on the island can be tricky on trying to capitalize on a buck hanging around for more then one reason. Biggest reason is out here you never know whos in the woods when you are not. happens all the time, even little honey holes have people wondering through... always seems to be people walking around doing crap in the woods and with people doing that it will make that buck change his habits. my opinion is if you dont see him this week you might have a hard time putting an eye on him. Do you think hes living around there? or just a passer buck moving through? never know, when things pop off you might be in the right spot when that hot doe brings him by you. Just out here its a crap shoot and there is alot of variables to make a buck change his ways making it hard for you to ever see him, plus when the rut comes god knows where that buck will go. the good part is they are still hitting some food sources so find out where hes feeding without blowing him out of his bedding area if hes living around where you hunt. i think with in the next few days things will change and seeing him may be tough for a few weeks until things heat up, thats MO but good luck Rich! hope you get him

also i think he is a solid 2 1/2 or could be a 3 year old i dont think hes a 3 1/2... he looks young

Thanks Steve.....how did you get it to post like that?

no prob, all you have to do is paste the videos link and the forum will automatically embed it for you

You would just paste this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFujgGW9PdI&

are you hunting private where its not disturbed to much? out here on the island can be tricky on trying to capitalize on a buck hanging around for more then one reason. Biggest reason is out here you never know whos in the woods when you are not. happens all the time, even little honey holes have people wondering through... always seems to be people walking around doing crap in the woods and with people doing that it will make that buck change his habits. my opinion is if you dont see him this week you might have a hard time putting an eye on him. Do you think hes living around there? or just a passer buck moving through? never know, when things pop off you might be in the right spot when that hot doe brings him by you. Just out here its a crap shoot and there is alot of variables to make a buck change his ways making it hard for you to ever see him, plus when the rut comes god knows where that buck will go. the good part is they are still hitting some food sources so find out where hes feeding without blowing him out of his bedding area if hes living around where you hunt. i think with in the next few days things will change and seeing him may be tough for a few weeks until things heat up, thats MO but good luck Rich! hope you get him

also i think he is a solid 2 1/2 or could be a 3 year old i dont think hes a 3 1/2... he looks young

Geno it is private land but it does come close to some housing. Maybe he is used to some activity around but I'm concerned because it is such a tough spot to hunt. Like I said I think the ground blind might be the way to go but I dont want to mess anything up at this point. I wish we would have known sooner about him and we could have set something up late in the summer so the deer would get acclimated to it. Were gonna try to look at the spot again and maybe see if we find a small tree to prop up a ladder stand. We never really had a good chance to scout it until just recently. Still running the camera to see if we can get more info on him. Yeah I definitley thought 2.5 but then I got a look at the decent spread on his rack and thought maybe a 3.5......anyway hes a beautiful deer.

hmm ground blind might be tricky... unless brushed in right and i would watch out for ladder stands especially if you thinking of putting one up now. you dont want him to come down a trail and the first thing he sees is you blind or a ladder stand sticking off a tree. id find a nice tree for a climber if you have one? or at least a lock on, something thats not bulky looking. there is a good chance if hes sees your blond or ladder coming off the tree hes going to bust out. i had a 2 1/2 year old 120" 8 bust me on opening day, looked right up at me and i was dead still. i was also over 20' up. LI deer are funny, they always have their head up lol.

but hey you never know tho, figure something out and go with it. whats the worse that can happen, he never shows or he picks you out? you live and you learn... play the wind and take scent control serious thats my advise. :)

Great deer but I think he's only 2 1/2. I also think you can get a shot at him only one time, if you tuck your ground blind into the brush behind him. Try and do it at midday with as little noise as possible. Use the cut brush to brush in the blind. To help with the scent take the cut ends of the brush and rub them with dirt. Good luck.