NYON - Fahnestock State Park - Firearm Deer Season?

SteveMcD

I hope it's a miss-print according to the latest New York Outdoor News, Fahnestock is open for Firearms in the Firearm Season this year. As a hardcore bowhunter I hope not. That sucks! Not like Fahnestock is over run with deer to begin with!

Newbie.. No. And I won't even get ino the debate with you, if you're looking for an argument. It is just nice having an Archery Only Area to hunt over the years, with enough room to roam without having to worry about Blaze Orange behind every tree. And on Public Land that's extremely difficult.

• Like 1

I am hunting a limited area. Bow Only for Deer for many years. And that upsets you. I too have been hunting for 40+ years. And I have 30+ years as a volunteer in several State and National organizations involved in the outdoor sports. So I'm not just a Internet Quarterback. I do my part.

I asked a simple question in disbelief. I wasn't looking for a debate.

Fahnestock sits right smack on the Appalachian Trail it is all high Mountain Area, there aren't a lot of deer here, never have been. It just provides a big woods - like experience that is close to home. It is altogether about the experience of the hunt here, where actually taking a deer here, any deer is far from a sure bet.

Looks like they are limiting to 200 permits for shotgun according to here;

http://nysparks.com/parks/133/hours-of-operation.aspx

If you go to DEP website; they are closing 2 areas to gun and making them bow only. IIRC those are both down that way. Maybe another option.

Wonder how their deers numbers are doing? Must be looking to take a few more with adding a gun permit.

You ever apply to hunt at Olana on that deer herd reduction program?

They only opened a new small section this year for shotgun. So a total of two areas are gonna be open . The new area is very small and usually where i like to enter the park but i don't really care because i go pretty deep into the woods. Which is fine with me cause i can use them to push the deer to me opening day of gun.

Edited by Marfhunts

Looks like they are limiting to 200 permits for shotgun according to here;

http://nysparks.com/...-operation.aspx

If you go to DEP website; they are closing 2 areas to gun and making them bow only. IIRC those are both down that way. Maybe another option.

Wonder how their deers numbers are doing? Must be looking to take a few more with adding a gun permit.

You ever apply to hunt at Olana on that deer herd reduction program?

Hi,Dins... I'm actuially located in Staatsburg, And I do the November Bow Only Deer Hunt in Clermont for severa years now too. I usually go down to Fahnestock for the Late Winter Archery Season.

Marfhunts.. you are right about that, most who go to Fahnestock don't venture very far, and FSP takes some exploring and learning the area to be successful.

Edited by SteveMcD