doe tarsal glands...

growalot

So this morning that same group of deer...the 2 doe and 2 fawn found me sitting near some apple trees that still have apples....1/4 mile from where we were last night....They wondered around eating bramble and looking for apples...not all the trees still have them...and one doe squats to pee...but she hunches up and I see she's rubbing her hocks together as she urinates...well no surprise I've watched doe do this before...actually seen more doe than buck doing this...but what she did next surprised me...

She stood there casually looking around then reached back to her... now lifted.... rear leg and is rubbing her face all over the tarsal gland and licking it...after a bit she takes a break and then does the other side with as much enthusiasm...Then she stood there making quick little bobs with her head almost as if she was flemming...but I didn't see her lip curl up and continued on browsing.....

Have you encountered this behavior before?