orange co.

bryabbio

What is up with kyrous Joel buying all hard wood areas? Ive been looking for land to hunt with shot gun nd bow and have been having little success getting permission from farmers because of their fear of liability. Anyone have any ideas for orange county. I want to steer away from Stewart because last year I have had too many close encounters with over rambunctious Hunters shooting at just about anything that was brown. Anyone know any private land or public land?

Ive hunted there years ago and had great success with shooting a 7 pt and does. But one time when I was in a climber a hunter sat under neath me and I just stopped. Last yr a good friend hunted there and he got there early in the morning, and was in the middle of a deer drive where Hunters walked up to him and past him. So he told me its not worth it anymore. Ive just had a bad time obtaining permission from people because of either the libaility issue or they had a bad experience with past Hunters. So I dont know what to do in yhis situation. My other go to spot has been a victim to logging to build houses and new developments.

the northern part of sterling forest doesn't get as busy. There is a road called orange turnpike that runs past the northern edge of the park. You can park and hunt along there. I travel this road frequently and find only a handfull of trucks parked there during bow season. During rifle I don't think this area of the park gets as crowded either. MAy be worth taking a look.

Hey all. I've hunted that area up orange turnpike and by Indian hill trail and all around the pond. There is unfortunately not much activity other than people walking they're dogs thru the woods dressed in LL Bean catalog clothing. I may give it another shot this year. Sterling forest I've never had much luck, I've coyote hunted turkey hunted and deer hunted , the only thing I ever brought home was ticks. Ticks all over my body, even later into deer season. If anyone hunts here I strongly suggest tick and bug repelant. The woman at the desk wherei got my permit mentioned it but I didn't believe they would be around after the first few freezes if the year. She also mentioned rattle.snakes and once again I didn't believe her. Once again, I was.wrong... You can even hear.them around.the power lines . Just be mindful, it is a antler restrictions area and you MUST bring the deer to the deer check station and submit samples.

I'm not sure if they still have the deer pickup service. Anyone else have knowledge about this ?

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of farmers are nervous about liability because they feel that if someone gets hurt or worse killed on their property they will get sued. This is not the case. I took this right from the DEC website.

Q. Is posting required to protect landowners from liability?

A. No. Whether the property is posted or not, the General Obligations Law protects landowners from liability for non-paying recreationalists on their property. Because of this protection, recreational liability lawsuits against rural landowners are uncommon. Recreational activities covered include: hunting; fishing; organized gleaning (picking); canoeing; boating; trapping; hiking; cross-country skiing; tobogganing; sledding; speleological (caving) activities; horseback riding; bicycle riding; hang gliding; motorized vehicle operation for recreation; snowmobiling; non-commercial wood cutting or gathering; and dog training. This protection does not apply in cases of willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against dangers.

Too bad that many land owners don't see this or know the laws. Next time you ask permission bring this bit of information up. Might help you gain access!