Since deer season is over...

chiefbkt

General question: Do squirrels hibernate? I had a lot of grays running around my house in mid-fall but now I have seen very few recently and none since the snow arrived. I know I have seen squirrels in the winter so I doubt they go into a full-blown hibernation, but rather a state of lower metabolism, inactivity and less foraging as they have made some stores during the times of abundance. So I wonder how is the best way to go about finding them. Do squirrel calls work? Anyone try leaving out peanut butter or some other attractant? Should I just bury myself in the snow and wait for a homeless squirrel to wander within range?

So anyone that has any insight on how to find squirrels (or rabbits) during the winter, I would greatly appreciate any knowledge you are willing to impart. I got into the hunting season/sport late and don't think I can wait 9 months or so for the season to start.

Haha, I can see you itching to get out there real bad!

Squirrels are going to be out all year, no hibernation for those tree rats.

Try hitting up the woods on less windy days, Monday should be good. The wind keeps them on edge, and they prefer to be holed up in their nests when windy.

Peanut butter works, but calls generally don't. If you're going to bait them, you should bait each time you go into the woods and get them used to eating in the areas you bait.

This time of year, you can often tell where they are by looking up in the trees for their nests. Once you find those, look on the ground for dig-ups or tracks in the snow.

Bunnies are going to try to hide during the day in the thick stuff, briars briars briars. I've flushed a few rabbits, but the airgun is no match for their speed. They run FAST! Much better chances with the shotty!

I'm not sure where you are, but if you're down by me(3N, 3M), id be more than happy to share what I know. Otherwise, someone take this guy hunting!

Squirrels main predator are hawks and owls. During the early season, they feel more confident running around foraging for food because there is ample cover (leaves) and they're trying to fatten up in time for the winter. Once winter hits, there is very little food which means they will rely one their stores more but they still go out for food. They're just a whole lot more cautious now. A grey squirrel on a grey bark is really hard to spot. Just as the leaves use to cover them in the early season, they also covered you from them. In the winter, odds are they spotted you before you spotted them.

What I do is look for nest and feeding spots. You'll spot the feeding spots by the large pile of fresh chewed up acorn shells. When there's fresh snow, you can see their whole travel routine. Once you find the spot, hide away some where in the distance and keep perfectly still. Again, they're extremely cautious during the winter so you have to work extra hard for them. That doesn't mean you can't succeed. They're only really active during certain parts of the day. An hour after sunrise and an hour before sunset. They'll come out mid-afternoon before not as much. Anything that'll interrupt the ability to detect danger (wind, rain) will completely keep them in their dens.

Haha, I can see you itching to get out there real bad!

Squirrels are going to be out all year, no hibernation for those tree rats.

Try hitting up the woods on less windy days, Monday should be good. The wind keeps them on edge, and they prefer to be holed up in their nests when windy.

Peanut butter works, but calls generally don't. If you're going to bait them, you should bait each time you go into the woods and get them used to eating in the areas you bait.

This time of year, you can often tell where they are by looking up in the trees for their nests. Once you find those, look on the ground for dig-ups or tracks in the snow.

Bunnies are going to try to hide during the day in the thick stuff, briars briars briars. I've flushed a few rabbits, but the airgun is no match for their speed. They run FAST! Much better chances with the shotty!

I'm not sure where you are, but if you're down by me(3N, 3M), id be more than happy to share what I know. Otherwise, someone take this guy hunting!

Thanks guys, that is some great info. In terms of baiting, I might have to leave some sedatives out for the bunnies to see if I can even the playing field a little. And I second the nomination for someone to take me hunting.

My wife and kid are visiting fam back west so since I'll have christmas off, if weather permitting, I think I'll head out and try to bring some Christmas joy to some squirrels and have myself some squirrel legs for dinner.

Edited by Dr Ignominious Death