new pistol purchases

jjb4900

I was wondering if they still include a fired slug with each new pistol that's purchased. I know that was done in the past as a way to track firearms used in crimes, ultimately it resulted in zero crimes being solved and was scrapped because it cost New York millions of dollars and was basically useless.

I bought one last week, no shell, but the gun had been test fired. What you are referring to was COBIS, where they kept a shell, and that was repealed last year. It cost taxpayers millions and never assisted in a single shooting. The forensic test where they test fire a gun and compare the slug happens when they recover a gun and want to see if it matches a slug recovered from a shooting. Two different things.

I bought one last week, no shell, but the gun had been test fired. What you are referring to was COBIS, where they kept a shell, and that was repealed last year. It cost taxpayers millions and never assisted in a single shooting. The forensic test where they test fire a gun and compare the slug happens when they recover a gun and want to see if it matches a slug recovered from a shooting. Two different things.

I know about how and why ballistic testing is done, up until that million dollar waste of money was repealed, all handguns sold in New York were fired by the NYS Police and a fired slug was included in the box and it was retained by the gun dealer after the sale and sent back to the state after it was sold. I was just wondering if it was still being done.