VA says it won't follow New York's gun law, AP reports

This is an area of that particular law where I believe they could have used a whole lot more time and thought. It gets into areas of personal lives that can be devastating if the wrong people start passing judgement and if proper safeguards against misuse are not put in place. There's no question that it is an area that needs some serious attention, but it is also an area that is very intrusive and gives enforcement authority to many people that perhaps should not have it. A psychiatrist who is trained to diagnose and treat mental illness is perhaps qualified to act as a "mind cop", but I start getting reservations when it comes to physicians, registered nurses, and social workers. Do they really have reliable credentials when it comes to mental diagnostics? I don't think so.

However, all that aside, I'm wondering what stops a psychiatrist, registered nurse, social worker, or physician from calling the cops right now if they find someone who is talking about murder or suicide or some other act against society. I think they all have that right as do we all. What's different about this law is that certain practitioners are being legally compelled to perform as "mental police" simply because of their chosen profession. Should any of these people try to abide by this law and turn out to be mistaken, or if their allegations are not provable, It is very likely that they will be subject to some ruinous law suits and charges of malicious libel and other grounds for severe and costly legal punishments.

It's an interesting discussion because it is obvious that there are some crazies that should be watched, treated, and kept from firearms, knives, machetes and fertilizer-and-fuel-oil. It just isn't all that clear that the best mechanism for doing that has been put into this law. There are a lot of questions that had they not been in such a hurry to cash in in the deaths of some children and firemen, perhaps they would have taken the time to consider in a more organized and thoughtful manner.

Should any of these people try to abide by this law and turn out to be mistaken, or if their allegations are not provable, It is very likely that they will be subject to some ruinous law suits and charges of malicious libel and other grounds for severe and costly legal punishments.

They talk about this in the video. They can not be held sued for their actions no matter the outcome.

They talk about this in the video. They can not be held sued for their actions no matter the outcome.

That sounds like something that looks good in print, but most likely won't hold up against the first challenge. After all, it's just a matter of time before someone in those 4 categories of professions decides to use the process maliciously or simply misinterprets something that they thought they heard. I can well imagine someone being dragged out of their place of work only to find out that the report was completely bogus. I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be a legal recourse for something like that kind of act that could easily cost a guy his job and reputation. "Whoops ... sorry" just wouldn't cut it ..... lol.