dilemma....and your thoughts

TeeBugg

steel shot would be my last choice for turkey.....actually I wouldn't even consider it an option.

I don't use it myself but I know a couple of guys who do. They swear by it because it holds a tight pattern.

Still I think that a tight choke with lead shot must hit a lot harder. ....To each his own I guess.

Damn nice of cabin fever to offer them up.... I use to use 2 3/4" copper plated #4's out of my old 870 and They worked just fine. Good luck!!

Yes it was very nice of him! Guess i helped make room in the ammo case :D they did pattern better than the rest and if i had a tighter choke i guarantee they would be the ticket!

As long as you have the discipline to pass up any shots over 20 yards, nearly any shot load within reason will do the job...Even a .410...

My ex-wife had an Ithaca M37 20 gauge 2 3/4"  with an IC barrel that she killed a couple of big gobblers with.... I patterned it  and got the best patterns with 2 3/4" magnum  loads of buffered, copper plated #6 shot ( 1 1/8 oz.).

It was deadly out to 30 yards..

Conventional wisdom would tell us that with an open choked 20 gauge gun, using  heavy loads of smaller shot sizes will produce a denser pattern..

Kind of the same thoughts i had. Smaller shot size and keep my shots to 30 or closer. Im ok with that. Just have to pattern it and see what works. I did shoot some remington game loads size 6 and at 25 yards it was fairly decent pattern.

Kind of the same thoughts i had. Smaller shot size and keep my shots to 30 or closer. Im ok with that. Just have to pattern it and see what works. I did shoot some remington game loads size 6 and at 25 yards it was fairly decent pattern.

I'll check my ammo supply...A friend just gave me a bunch of assorted 20 gauge shells, and if there are any  heavy # 6 loads, I'll send you a few to try..

I wish i had a 20 gauge :/ but thank you!

<<BLUSH>>... My old age showing through, Teebug...Somehow I had the impression that your gun was a 20..

12 gauge is more better...I probably still have some shells I could send you..I'll  check out my supply and PM you.

• 1 month later...