Coyote - Almost

Wanted to share my latest coyote adventure with the group.

This past week, I've been working from home, locked up in the basement office.   Was on a teleconference call on Thursday (around 11AM), so I decided to wander around the house while using wireless headset and cell phone to attend the call.

I looked out in the hayfield behind the house, and about 8-900 yard out I spot a coyote wandering around.  I grab a rabbit distress call and open the french door on the deck just enough to get my head outside.  I work it a bit, when suddenly the coyote turns towards the house and starts a quick trot towards me. 

Now the panic sets in; I'm on a call with my boss and my entire chain of command, and I'm supposed to report on a few projects I'm running.  But I've got this coyote working his way into range.  I'm thinking to myself by the time I get the rifle out, load it  then sneak out onto the deck, either ( a ) the coyote would have turned tail and left or ( b ) I'll have to give my report. So I simply watch him through the french doors as I give my report.

As this point, he's within 75 yards of the back properly line, about 2-300 feet north of the house.  Not sure if he's realize he's moving into "human land" or what, but he then turns south and walks parallel to the properly line, directly behind the house he was about 100 yards out.  The whole time he as looking and looking for the source of the noise.

I finish up my report, and now I'm totally cursing myself for not grabbing the rifle.  At this point, he turned back towards the woods, I tried a few more quick calls, but he was done looking and kept wandering on down the field til I lost sight of him as he went over a ridge in the field.

Did I mention the whole time I'm working the call, the chocolate lab is in the other room growling and moaning and carrying on ?

Oh well, maybe I be able to get him this weekend.

Edited by JJBat150

That's funny.  I work from my house as well and always wondered what I'd do if a yote showed up while I was on the phone.  I decided that I'd go hands free on my iPhone, put ear muffs over the ear buds so I could still hear and talk, but wouldn't get blasted by the gun shot, then shoot the coyote while talking.  Sure the people on the other end will hear SOMETHING, but they won't really know what.  Just play dumb afterward.  What was that?  Must have been static or something, who knows?  :-) 

But then my gun is always ready anyway because of the motion sensor setup, bullets in my pocket, ear muffs right above the gun.  So everything is ready to roll.

Zhe Wiz