CamoGirl's Contest Thread

As I was looking for my thread this morning...waiting for page to load...sitting in bed with a cup of coffee and procrastinting... I looked over my shoulder and out the window. I was looking for turkeys that I have not seen since September. As if responding to some magical cue, one lone hen sauntered across the back yard. I thought, "Of course. Of course there is a turkey there, right now, at the precise moment I turn to look for it."

I had been worried. It was a long winter without any real brakes from the cold and snowcover. The deer have become fur covered skeletons. They ate everything below my head height, mostly while I watched. I couldn't bring myself to let the dogs out and scare them off. They seemed so desperate and I'd been hearing stories of starving deer dying in neighbors' backyards.

On the trail cam I've seen plenty of healthy coyote and fox, but no,turkeys. And yet somehow it seems those birds have returned. And they are right on time.

I had a fantastic morning in the woods but nothing to show for it. (besides the spring in my step). Two toms came in the first was being chases by a hen?!?! And she would not let him near my decoys. The second was chasing a particular hen but was traveling with a group of five, 3 hens and 2 toms. He stayed just outside my range putting on quite the show. There seem to be a lot of lone hens this year compared to last. And everyone is sooooo, quiet. When I finally got the second one to gobble, he nearly whispered. Perhaps I'm losing my hearing. Can't wait to get back out there.