Anyone Work In Human Resources or Are Hiring Managers?

Cabin Fever

Always take the offer, thank them graciously, and ask that you speak with your wife before accepting. Always let it sit for one day, max. IE, get the offer today, call back tomorrow first thing.

Depending on the offer, and circumstances, ask for what you want (not need) if the original offer is weak. But, beforewarned, there's so much variation that goes into whether you should ask that it's a personal decision. Is your market flooded with talent? If so, that limits your negotiation position. Is time away possible to negotiate? If so, that may satiate your desire for more pay, etc. Lots of ways to skin the cat. Negotiations at my company have become much more rare unless you are in a defined field (analytics, certain manager roles, etc.). No negotiation on paid time off at all. None...it is what it is. I work with HR pretty close (big Rochester company) and have had to deal with negotations in my role from multiple perspectives.

The other thing...is are you currently employed and happy? Is the offer a MUCH better long-term solution? If you are happy where you are at, then ask for the moon and stars. If it hits, then so be it...if it doesn't then you really don't have much loss. A co-worker did just that...was happy where he was, but got a random LinkedIn application hit on and he really hammered the new hiring company on negotiations and ended up with a 35% pay raise, more time off than he had here, and better hours. My company didn't even BOTHER with a counter offer. Counter offers also are possible for you at your current company.

Edited by phade

Negotiations at my company have become much more rare unless you are in a defined field (analytics, certain manager roles, etc.). No negotiation on paid time off at all. None...it is what it is. 

The other thing...is are you currently employed and happy? Is the offer a MUCH better long-term solution? If you are happy where you are at, then ask for the moon and stars. If it hits, then so be it...if it doesn't then you really don't have much loss. A co-worker did just that...was happy where he was, but got a random LinkedIn application hit on and he really hammered the new hiring company on negotiations and ended up with a 35% pay raise, more time off than he had here, and better hours. My company didn't even BOTHER with a counter offer. Counter offers also are possible for you at your current company.

I've been employed for the past 21 at the same company. Like my job, little stress, 6 weeks vacation, excellent manager.... BUT 100 mile/2+hr commute each day (much longer in the winter), maxed out position/salary wise, job and company can be shaky at times, and seniority means nothing. Kind of like the co-worker that you mentioned, another company called me and asked if I would be interested in interviewing for a position with them. Figured, sure...what the hell... nothing to lose. Had a 3rd interview with them earlier this week, and I heard that I was the only one to get #3, so I think they're pretty serious. The job would be a big promotion, it's only 3/4 of a mile from my house, and the experience would make me more marketable down the road! I exaggerated my salary (by 15%) when asked and told them I wouldn't do their job for the same salary, as it's much more responsibility. Been researching salary & benefits negotiations and it sounds like it's expected or a given, as they start out with a low ball offer. I'm quite rusty, being out of the job market for so long, so I wasn't sure if negotiations are expected, kind of like dickering when buying a car? Certainly don't want to jump on their first offer, if I could have gotten more $.

Interesting what you said about the "no negotiations with time off" at your company. While interviewing with the HR manager at this place, she asked me about my vacation at my current employer. I told her that I got 6 weeks vacation. She  whispered to me, if I was offered the job, to use that as a bargaining tool, as they have done that in the past. She said they wouldn't do it for someone that was right out of college or anything, but they have done it for people like myself, that are coming from places with a lot of vacation.

Hoping to hear something soon...

Sounds like you have some negotiationg power, but that the company is limited in concessions based on the HR manager's suggestion. 6 weeks is a big vacation allotment. Her comment to me, means you'll likely get a decent first offer pay-wise, but that vacation is going to be less...maybe 2-4 weeks as standard issue by their corporate policy. The good news is that it sounds clear you are the #1 draft selection! If you are willing to part with a week or two of vacation, you have some potential to really force their hand at a bump in the pay-scale.

What they may say is that 6 weeks is off the table as a barganing chip, but that the pay could be talked up. "You know, I really appreciate this offer. It is appealing and I think we can both benefit from this situation; however, having reduced vacation time strains my family's lifestyle. I could potentially consider taking the offer with an increase of $X to offset the loss of vacation time."

Maybe you'll be wowed by the pay offer and the 6 weeks of vacation becomes the focal point of the negotiations. They probably know you are closer to home with this offer, so that may play into the outlay they present to you.

I wouldn't stress over much until you get the actual offer...just take it in stride, ask to bring it home to the family for a decision and let them know when you will respond. At that point, that's when you can make a game plan.

Edit* Your note about negotiations rings true, but it seems more common today to hammer away at one or two details...seems like I've seen people run into trouble more often than not when they counter numerous aspects, such as pay, hours, vacation, sick, insurance, etc. Pick the one or two points to hit them on; chances are the others are going to be similar in nature to what you have now or something you can "live" with, assuming the bonus of getting to work closer to home, pay raise, promotion in the career track, etc.

Low ball offers are not all that common now. Hiring analytics shows that they need to retain and attract talent and at what dollar amounts they can do that. If the company is of any size, they likely have one or more compensation analysts who know the pay range for your role. I bet you won't be super disappointed with the pay offer; sounds like the company will offer a good package, but that the contention will be vacation time. They know you are employed comfortably and know they need to give you enough to make you theirs!

Edited by phade

Thanks phade!

I'm not even sweating the reduced vacation time that much. If I can get an extra week on top of their 2 week standard to start, it'll be OK. I typically take 5-6 weeks during bow season (OK, pretty much ALL of bow season!). I asked the hiring manager about working hours during the last interview, as I have flexible hours now and that's very important to me (kids sports, afternoon hunts, working around the house/camp, etc...), so I don't have to burn vacation time. She said hours are very flexible and people just come in whenever they want, some early, some late. She said if I wanted a day off during the week, and didn't want to use vacation or personal time, I could just work 4 ten hour days. That would certainly be nice, having less vacation time to play with! 

Hate to leave my company after 21 years, but...................................

Cabin, you should also ask about travel pay, cell phone (double eged sword), and a vehicle allowance. You pay less income tax, they pay less payroll tax.

Thanks. I asked about travel, but none required. Considering no travel, and I would only be driving 3/4 of a mile to work (actually walking distance), a vehicle allowance is probably out of the question too. Cell phone.... "maybe"...