Hunting Ohio

sbiondo51

Hey guys finally made an account even though ive been on here a ton. Always finding interesting stuff and information.  was just wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions about hunting public land in Ohio. I've heard they have tons of huge bucks out there and would love the chance to hunt them. I've done some research and read that Coshocton and Muskingum county's produce some nice buck and have a ton of state land to hunt there. Just wondering what publics land to hunt? Not looking for your secret spot just need a starting point! thanks for your time

I hunt Ohio each year.

Those counties, while noted as top producers, are going to be a pain to hunt because they get pretty heavy pressure.

If you take Ohio, draw a line from the SW to the NE, hunting anything on the south/right side will be productive as long as you can avoid the pressure.

Here's my problem with your scenario. You are late into the game for this year to do any useful scouting. That means you needs to scout with a stand on your back or scout for a significant portion of your trip. That really forces you into large pieces of public land - such as Wayne National Forest. There, you can eventually find some distance from bowhunters. If you had time to go and visit in March, you could really hit multiple small sections within your "home base" (hotel/camp). Doing that this fall with no prior scouting puts you at risk of hitting that small spot or two and finding it covered with hunters. With bare ground, you can see both deer and hunter sign.

My buddies and I lease 1,500 acres in Coshocton County, yes there are nice bucks there. We have taken a couple in the 170' class with many 130" and above in the last 6 years.

There is a public hunting area called Woodbury Wildlife Area with 14,600 acres to roam around on. Don't know what the hunting pressure is like but I would guess pretty heavy. Many reclaimed strip coal mines in the area that are growing up with heavy brush. Check it out on the web.

Edited by catskillkid

Hey guys thanks for your input i think we will be staying either at Roscoe motor inn or coshocton lake park. I think the first place we will try to hunt will be Woodbury Wildlife Area. Ive also heard that AEP's Conesville Coal Lands produces some good deer also. Is the rut in Ohio the same time as in new york? I know the rut in usually around the beginning of the 2nd week of November. 

Woodbury gets hammered during the first three weeks of November. Lots of people I know who have went there all report shock the first time they set foot there. Now, that said, they did find some places to get away from others, but in large by the time they started to get dialed in, it was 4-5 days into the hunt.

AEP lands I have heard can offer some places to get off the path.

I always seem to find the rut in the portions I now hunt in Ohio to be about 5-7 days behind wNY activity wise.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I do. I live in Tuscarawas County, Ohio and hunt public ground. 141 acres within deer dragging distance. there is also 300+ acres 1 mile away. They are both nearly landlocked and see little pressure. Both are also surrounded with soy and / or corn.

Both properties are a part of the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy district which is a quasi govt agency like the Adirondack park Authority (APA) in NY. It holds a huge amount of land across the Muskingum watershed and across 12 counties.

All counties have web based tax and property logs. Look up Muskingum watershed as the owner of property, pick some big parcels (many parcels may make up an area so don't be fooled). Cross reference with GIS maps and you have a piece of public land that you can almost claim as your own. I have.

You can also hook up with holmes limestone or other mining operations for hunting access.

Woodbury gets hammered during the first three weeks of November. Lots of people I know who have went there all report shock the first time they set foot there. Now, that said, they did find some places to get away from others, but in large by the time they started to get dialed in, it was 4-5 days into the hunt.

AEP lands I have heard can offer some places to get off the path.

I always seem to find the rut in the portions I now hunt in Ohio to be about 5-7 days behind wNY activity wise.

I totally agree with the rut timing. This also holds true for fall leaves and inversely for spring blossoms.