Local Supplier Of Winter Peas?

Tried winter peas (Austrian & #4010) a few years ago in a plot and the deer seemed to really eat them up. I ordered them from Welter Seed Co. in Iowa, but the shipping cost more than the seed! Has anyone found a local supplier of Austrian or 4010 winter peas? I've asked around here, but no one has even heard of them! If I can't find locally, I might have to see if the local Gander Mountain store has any Biologic Winter Peas ($) in stock.

Culvercreek hunt club, on 26 Aug 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

NO idea, I hope they are as good as you say though becasue the mix we just put in had them in it.

I planted them ~ 3 years ago, along with a mix of Winter Rye. I still remember seeing deer in the plot, raising their heads, with winter pea vines dangling from both sides of their mouth! LOL The winter peas didn't last long though! They targeted them!!

Fantail, on 26 Aug 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

This stuff? Looks interesting, I mean maybe mix a bag of that to boost the peas in a winter rye mix. Anyhow I had to order some jazz at Gander, ship to store was free.

Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up buying at GM, if I can't find a local supplier of Austrian or #4010 winter peas. I called GM and they have them in stock right now. Gotta head up that way anyway today, so maybe I'll just grab a bag. I plan on mixing with a plot of Buck Forage Oats. I've tried winter rye and winter wheat a few times, but the deer just don't dig 'em for some reason. Thought I'd try BFO again this year.

What jackasses at Gander Mountain! I called this morning, before making the 30 min trip, to make sure they had exactly what I wanted in stock. Told customer service the part # and name. I was on hold for 15min, so I hung up, and called back. She says, "Oh yes, I was just looking at them on the computer and called the guys out back, and we DO have them in stock" and told me where they were! I drove there, looked all over, but didn't find them. I asked 3 guys and they all said that they didn't have them in stock!! Boy was I pissed!! The manager (?) happened to walk by and I let him know how pissed I was! They offered to order them for me and send to my house, but it might take ~30 days!! Screw that! Let them know I was NOT happy with their idiot customer service!!! I would have stopped by and paid customer service a visit too, but there were ~10 people in line! 

Thought I'd run over to Dicks and see if they had any. I was walking up and down the isles looking for foodplot seeds. The only thing I saw were attractants, and lots of them. I asked the guy where the foodplot seeds were? He said they haven't gotten ANY in!! I looked over and saw 2 BIG displays of attractants (illegal), but NO foodplot seeds (legal)!!! WTH???? I give up................

Edited by Cabin Fever

No, I'm done F'n screwing around. I guess it's just gonna be Buck Forage Oats this year for a fall crop (already have clover, chicory, and alfalfa established). WW, WR, nor brassicas have ever attracted deer to my plots, not even in the middle of winter. Guess they have too much else to eat. I'm surrounded by corn, soybeans, and apple orchards.

No, I'm done F'n screwing around. I guess it's just gonna be Buck Forage Oats this year for a fall crop (already have clover, chicory, and alfalfa established). WW, WR, nor brassicas have ever attracted deer to my plots, not even in the middle of winter. Guess they have too much else to eat. I'm surrounded by corn, soybeans, and apple orchards.

I'm surprised that WR has never attracted anything to your plots..... In the 2 areas I hunt that have foodplots the deer prefer that over just about anything! And our areas have corn beans and apples as well! Good luck! IMHO Gander mountain is garbage. Always picked over and has high prices! 

I'm surprised that WR has never attracted anything to your plots..... In the 2 areas I hunt that have foodplots the deer prefer that over just about anything! And our areas have corn beans and apples as well! Good luck! IMHO Gander mountain is garbage. Always picked over and has high prices! 

They rave about WR on the QDMA foodplot forum, as the are suppose to deer love it, cheap seed, will grow anywhere (even sprout in the back of a truck!), great draw all through the winter, and needs little/no fertilizer! I have never seen deer touching my WR, nor have I even seen any sign of usage. When there's snow on the ground, I won't see any tracks in my WR plots, let alone any sign of digging or anything! It's guys like you that make me feel like I should give it yet another try!  :biggrin:  Maybe I'll mix some in with my BFO, just for kicks...