what part of the rut is on when rifle opens?

fearthebeard

Sounds to me like alot of good advice.. I dont really have much more to offer, but I do have a suggestion.. Bowhunt.. I think it is the absolute best time to be in the woods.. First two weeks in November are magical and the bucks are cruising lookinh for some tail. Thats when a Grunt call is invaluable.. You can also learn alot bowhunting considering the fact that you need to be close for a kill shot.. I started bow hunting when I was 15 and didnt take a Racked Buck until I was 26 (with the bow). Many mistakes and mishaps in between, but I learned alot about deer. First week of gun is so so for me, but after that I just fill my doe tag. Too much pressure and any buck worth his salt has gone nocturnal in my area. Im also in Columbia County.. Chatham/Kinderhook area. Lots of deer and not many bow hunters which makes for some exciting hunting. Plus if you love to hunt, why not do it as much as possible? Im in the woods in October with a bow and in December with my Muzzeloader.. The deer absolutely hate me.. I think a nice buck is in the near future for you. Dont kick yourself either. I could tell you 50 should have could have would have stories.. Those mistakes and mishaps have made me a deadly camoflauged ninja..

i dont know what that guys problem is but i appreciate your post its been hard hunting for me and ill take all the tips and tricks i can get. i have one buck on camera could u tell me if u think hes a shooter or not??post-3512-0-29444300-1378492673_thumb.jp

either shoot em opening day of gun, or buy a bow and start practicing.  I moved to bow a few years back because the deer by me go almost nocturnal once gun opens. I had opening monring to get them, and then it was almost impossible until muzzleloader season started up.  Way more oppertunities with a bow

Private land vs. public land........

I wonder how many guys on private land get bored to death because there is no one to boot the deer in the butt to get them moving?

We have a 300 acre parcel adjacent to some state land that used to be crazy with activity and shooting and deer running everywhere before it got posted up. Well, a guy bought the land, posted the hell out of it, put in all kind of food plots and everything and hunts it by himself with a couple of other guys. I haven't heard a shot out of that land in 4 years.

what is a good licking branch for a mock scrape how high should it be and what kind or scent should i apply to it and the mock scrape???

A real one, relocated to your spot and fastened with zip ties about chest high. Wear surgical gloves when handling it so you don't leave your scent.http://www.kishelscents.com/2011/04/04/making-a-mock-scrape

• Like 1