Anyone own a BEAR (bow)

damore81

I have always owned Hoyt & PSE bows but the new bear line-up looked really good so I dove in and bought a middle range BEAR Legion. So far I am very impressed on the build quality. It is much faster and quieter than my previous bows and it is very light. The let-off on this bow is like literally a wall and I can hold drawn back forever. Its fast enough that I was able to sight in my first pin at 25 yards with only about a 1/4 of an inch difference from 10-25 yards. Now my problem is I can shoot quarter size groups to 25 yards and 35 yards but then when I paper tune and have major tears high and left. I know it is not a form or torque issue, and everything is square and level. Unfortunately I have been a little spoiled and always had a pro shop set up and paper tune my bows but this one I decided to purchase the correct tools and set up myself. I just wanted to know if anyone else shoots a bear and have any paper tuning issues?

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot a bear too, but the older model "Truth." I agree that you get a lot of bow for the money. Are you getting tight groups with broad heads or just Field points? Even a bow that is pretty badly out of tune is capable of tight FP groups. I always paper tune as a starting point and then broad head tune. If your broad heads and fps are hitting together I would not change anything, but if they aren't I would suggest paper tuning by making very slight adjustments to your rest and/or knock point until you get a perfect bullet hole. Then try a broad head. You may need to make some additional adjustments to get your broad heads to hit with your fps but paper tuning should get you pretty close

I shoot a bear too, but the older model "Truth." I agree that you get a lot of bow for the money. Are you getting tight groups with broad heads or just Field points? Even a bow that is pretty badly out of tune is capable of tight FP groups. I always paper tune as a starting point and then broad head tune. If your broad heads and fps are hitting together I would not change anything, but if they aren't I would suggest paper tuning by making very slight adjustments to your rest and/or knock point until you get a perfect bullet hole. Then try a broad head. You may need to make some additional adjustments to get your broad heads to hit with your fps but paper tuning should get you pretty close

I have a lower line Bear Charge (no longer in production).  I haven't gotten anything with it yet so all I can say is that it performs just as well at the range as most guys I've seen.  It does have a little bit of a louder "twack!" when I shoot than some I've heard.

I own a Bear recurve, but don't shoot it much. It's more sentimental value than anything else.

Saw a video on U Tube that states that the newer bows don't need to be paper tuned. As long as the string is lined up with the rest and centered up, you're good to go.

If you want to paper tune, all you need is a nice backstop and some paper. You can hang the paper on a rope and start at 5 yards. Follow the arrow tip with knock points and rest alignment. Then walk back to 10, 15, 20 etc.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I would respectfully disagree with that video. I don't see how eyeballing the string is as good as paper tuning it - although a paper tune is really just a starting point. I think it gets your pretty close though and makes broadhead tuning that much easier.

Wasn't talking about eyeballing, but through the use of centering equipment such as lasers.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems