Birds Unlimited hunting club long island??

Eycee1

I was a member there 2 years ago.  I love pheasant hunting with my dog, just about every weekend in season.  Nice guys that run it, I didn't get to socialize too much with other members.  The downside to BU is the land is leased from a farmer that is a real pig and doesn't give a damn about the cleanliness of the property.  He treats it like a junkyard.  You will encounter; wrecked boats, wrecked cars, abandoned machinery and landscaping debris out in the hunting fields.  The club officials have been trying to improve this aspect, but it seemed like they were fighting a losing battle.  There are only 2 fields to hunt there.  I feel bad for the club and the members but there is a better choice.

I assume you have a hunting dog.  That is what bird hunting is all about.  There are few things in life better than walking the fields with my pointer and my shotgun.  Last year I joined an amazing club, Hunter's Garden.  The grounds are amazing, the owner is a great guy.  The setup is top notch.  Walking those fields, it is hard to believe that you are still on LI.  Bird hunting is an expensive sport, but it is more cost efficient to join a club on LI, than to drive hours to preserves located off the Island.

Thanks for the info!! I called BU and Hunters Garden to see if I can see the grounds before joining. BU called me back within an hour and said we cab work out getting me to see the grounds. Hunters Garden hasn't called back yet.....I did like the option of being able to shoot ducks also as I am trying to get into waterfowl and bird hunting. And no I do not have a hunting dog. So you can reccomend Hunters Garden? How are the other members and is it an issue with getting in feild time??

The members at both clubs are pleasant, but you don't often interact with them.  You make your reservation for a field and the amount of birds they should put out for you.  Not much time spent in the clubhouse, mostly walking the fields.  I made a friend from BU and we hunted our dogs together.  We both checked out HG and instantly joined over there and we often hunted our dogs together.  I personally can't imagine bird hunting without a dog.  Duck hunting might be better for you, as I hunted many years without a dog.  You can simply use your duck boat to pick up the downed ducks.  You can hunt ducks from a Kayak.  You need a hunting dog to find the pheasant or the chuckar.  They are incredible at concealing themselves in the grass.  You can pay someone to guide you at either club and get an understanding of pheasant hunting with a dog.  Fields are always available at HG and most often at BU.  I've never seen anyone duck hunt at either club, so don't have any expectations of that happening.

My advice isn't going to be popular, but from what you say you sound like you are a new hunter and have no experience with hunting dogs. I makes no sense whatsoever , IMO, to join a bird preserve if you don't have a bird dog.

LI doesn't offer large expanses of upland bird habitat but it does offer large expanses of coast where countless waterfowl stage.

A better option is the entire Atlantic coast which is pretty much open to you and harbors tens of thousands of wild, free ranging birds. Keep in mind however, don't expect to learn the ropes over a season and you will soon want a dog for waterfowl hunting. There are several retriever clubs that train together on LI and the English Labrador is the easiest breed on planet earth to train... 

If you're looking to get a taste of bird hunting, try Spring Farm in Sag Harbor.........they provide a guide and dog and I think it's 25 birds per hunt.....not cheap, but split 4 ways it's not too bad......a lot cheaper than joining a club that you may not be able to effectively hunt without a dog.

Edited by jjb4900